Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

help jog my memory!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 281 Total Views
It has been 9 yrs since i had a almost 5 yr old, time sure flies! My sil adopted her gds and everytime the family gets together ( we normally have to do it around her schedule and her adult kids who all work (lol) part time! Anyway this boy everytime he throws a kick stomping, crying fit where he has broken stuff he yells and it either ends with him on the floor or his dad coming and carting him off while my sil doesnt lift a finger ( i hope he dont turn out like her other three) is this normal he will be 5 in the spring? I dont remember mine doing stuff like this after 2 yrs old, so can any of you help me try anf fiqure this out? Hugs
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM
3 moms liked this

This is only normal where it is allowed. And he will get no better, only worse, as he gets older.

ashleighmama
by Ash on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM

No, this is not normal at all. I have 2 boys, ages 14 and 9, and while they aren't perfect, they never acted like that.

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree.

If they had nipped that in the bud when he first started acting like that, it would happen again.  He's way too old for that behavior. 

Quoting ALolies:

This is only normal where it is allowed. And he will get no better, only worse, as he gets older.

Goddess Johnnie 

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Oh, and one more thing, if I were you and saw this happening and saw the SIL doing nothing, I would say something.  I'd probably say something like "Really?  You're not going to do anything?!"  But that's just me, I'm a pushy bitch.  lol

paknari
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM
What is gds?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Throwing tantrums and sulking is learned behavior in my opinion.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM

NO! He should not be having temper tantrums at 5 or 4. My Anthony (grandson) is 5, and no temper fits for him!

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I'm confused...is this 5 year old adopted? Or a gs? I don't think this is typically a "normal" behavior however there could be MANY reasons unknown to everyone (including mental health reasons) why a 5 year old would act this way. Asperger's...or being on the spectrum is one. Having sensory processing issues is another. Not everything boils down to poor parenting or an out of control child who chooses this over good behavior.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I would suggest that there be things to do with this child and include him (and not leave him at his own devices) in order to make a more pleasant visit for all. I'm not saying to catered to him, but it doesn't sound like he has the skills to be on his own while adults visit...so why not do something that might be fun for everyone and keep him engaged.

gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like he is a bit spoiled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)