Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

The second time around

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 370 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I am a 49 year old mom of 5 adult children and adopting a five year old boy (we have had him since he was 4 months), we also recently added our 2 1/2 year grandson to our household to raise. They are both special needs, the 5 year old has ADHD and our grandson may be Autistic (we are in the beginning of the process to get him assessed).  I work full time plus and my husband ( age 52) now works part time to help with the kids at home. Some days seem just so long but still there doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day to get it all done and have regular one on one time with each boy.  It's hard to share with my friends, as their children are grown and hard to socialize with woman with children of the same age a sour youngsters because they are so young (in their 20's, I have chidlren that age).  When people hear about how we got our five year old and our grandson they think we are sooo amazing. I want to be amazing for them, but I dont always feel that I am amazing.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM
2 moms liked this

hugs

GoddessJohnnie
by Goddess Johnnie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Remember, you don't have to be amazing all the time - you just have to be you and try your best.  Those kids are so lucky to have you to love them and care for them! 

dusky_rose
by Sue on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Hi Elaine. I am a 48 year old mom with 3 adult children (they live with their dad) and a 6 year old son. It sounds like you really have your hands full; I don't know how I do it with one boy at my age. God bless you!

BL2010
by BL on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Hi and welcome. Looking forward to seeing you checking out the different forums and having some fun with us.

I, personally, think you're amazing. You are giving these two children love and that's awesome!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Hugs~~

I am 50 with a 7 year old (my oldest granddaughter) and my other 4 kids are all adults with kids of their own. I get strange looks but you know I wouldnt change it for anything in the world.

Carmen66
by Hot Latina on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:28 AM
4 moms liked this

Give yourself a pat on the back, you are more than amazing. You are giving hope and love to 2 children that need it desperately. It's funny cause we as moms sometimes don't think we are amazing, but without us they don't survive. So don't be hard on yourself you are doing the best you can and they will appreciate it in the long run.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:31 AM
3 moms liked this

Elaine...you are truly a sister of the heart. I too have adult children (3 to be exact) and adopted 4 others (3 which are special needs.) My youngest came to us at 2 months and was also SUPPOSED to be special needs but he's completely healthy. Our other kiddos (all girls) all have signficant disabilities. One is on the spectrum, ADHD, PTSD, ODD, ED, Behaviorally challenged and probably an alphabet of other diagnosis. One is severely MR and our youngest dd is dually impaired (hearing loss and legally blind) also has CP and cognitive delays.

Bless you honey!!! You may may not feel amazing all the time but I can assure you that you are amazing to your children. Remember the star fish story? I know all too well how few hours there are in a day, but ya know what? We keep moving foward.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:33 AM
2 moms liked this

We're glad you're here with us. I think what you're doing is amazing and know it must be very hard.

LaniBee
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:37 AM
3 moms liked this

You ARE amazing.  Tired, for sure!  But what a blessing full of LOVE you have in that big, beautiful family.   

you rock

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group amazing Lady. I admire what you and hubby do. I'm Angela. I look forward to getting to know you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)