Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question 11/26

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
  • 385 Total Views

Before I begin I want to say this is NOT a bash against those with tattoos, it is just a question that we as mature adults can talk about..

This morning on the news they were talking about individuals in the workplace and having exposed tattoos and how some employers are asking the individuals to cover them up or pass them over for employment because some have too many expose to cover. Personally I hired a young lady many years ago who was covered with tattoos and she was a great worker but some dont see it this way. I was at a appointment a few days ago and this sweet young lady who was making my next appointment had two bandages around her arm and it looked bad, I said tattoos and she said yes! I would rather look at a tattoo than a bandage that looks like she hurt herself. She said she always covers up with long sleeves but forgot that day.

If you have any tattoos do you have to cover them for your employment? If you are an employee do you have your emplyees cover up or do you allow them to expose them?

Thoughts?

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChellBell2013
362 days till the beach July 2015
Yesterday at 10:45 PM
by Beach Lover on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:09 AM

No tats but  if I had to cover them I would :) 

jdy9440
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I don't have any but a lot of workers do where I'm at and they do not cover them. 

PinkDragonFly
by Shazzy on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I have 7 but don't have to cover them but could if I had to. My son's freind's sister has big ones and most can't be covered, she has a hard time getting a job. 

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
No tats for me, but DH has one on his bicep. IMHO, tats are an expression art. As a past employer, I couldn't and wouldn't ask someone to cover their art. Yes, I did have a few with tats!
maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM
I would of hired her in a heartbeat....

Quoting PinkDragonFly:

I have 7 but don't have to cover them but could if I had to. My son's freind's sister has big ones and most can't be covered, she has a hard time getting a job. 

anchorgurl
by Bronze sister on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I have one small one that is not visible and I got during a difficult period of my life and it is to remind me to stay strong.  Before I had it done, I thought long and hard about what it was and where it would be.  I would not have had it placed anywhere that was visible during my work hours.

I also understand employers wanting to have a "no ink" policy at work and it is their right to do so.  I don't mind a small tatt, but some people get covered in them and it does become a distraction. 

wenuck
by Moonshine on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a Tattoo but its on my Back Shoulder. I dont mind tattoo and If I had more and needed to cover up I would! Dont have an issue with it! But how would that affect how I work! Work performance should be the Key.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont have a tattoo BUT I do have my nose pierced and was told I couldnt get a professional job with my nose ring in. Its funny because you cant see it unless you are looking for it as my ring is very small. I had someone actually ask me how long I had it done because they never noticed it before... LOL

I think if the tattoo are in good taste then why not hire the person and if they need to be covered then they should. I talk to a man who had them on his face and neck and this man was intelligent and could only find work at McDonalds. He said he wishes he knew then what he knows now because he would be working in the field he train for.

Lori942
by UMMMMM....... on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I don't have any but I always have wanted one.  When we went on vacation a while back I had one of those temporary tats but on...I loved it but it only lasted 10 days.  As far as hiring someone with tats yes I would hire them.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM
My dd works at a Buffalo wild wings. You cannot show a tattoo working there. I agree. As you all know from another post of mine dh and I do not like tattoos at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)