Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Thanksgiving debate question 11/28

Posted by   + Show Post

I have seen on FB and the news that most people are protesting stores opening today to start the Black Friday deals. I know most say that Thanksgiving is for family and every business should be closed. When I was a young girl this is how it use to be. WE would get up on Thanksgiving day, get dressed in our Sunday best and go to a family members house or they came to ours and you would see NOTHING open at all. But now everything is different as family dont see this holiday as it once was and some will eat and want to get out and do something while the men watch football or sleep. We tend to forget something like the rolls or cranbery sauce. Some families rather not cook and will go and buy their dinner while others rather go out to eat so they dont have to cok or clean up any mess.

I ask one person about working today and she said it was time and half for her and this helps out for Christmas and so as long as she gets to have dinner with her family she is ok working today. Some might not be ok working today but I knew many who would work (they were single or no family to go home to) and didnt want to sit at home alone and work was a distraction for them.

So should business close for the holidays? OR should they ask employees who would want to work and those who dont can have it off? Has the economy gotten so bad that some are forced to work today to make extra money for the bills or christmas?  

Thoughts?

** This is NOT a bash post on those who are wanting to protest businesses that are open today**

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I'd rather work on the day than on Christmas.

I think this is just an extension of the start holiday crap before Halloween is even over.

If people didn't go to these sales and give retailers the almighty dollar cuz it's a "great deal" than they'd not do this opening on Thanksgiving and all that. People are greedy and broke so they think the savings is worth it.

In the end, we caused this I see no reason to complain. Work is work, income is income.  

ratchetlee
by Sister on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM

As a nurse, I always had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas.... all of them..... I would just adjust the family time.... I am not going shopping on Thanksgiving or the day after... so honestly, it doesn't make a difference to me1

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't care. MANY people have to work on Thanksgiving. I used to. Quit whining and work around hours to eat or another day for Thanksgiving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntyag
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I know when I worked for walmart the asked people to sign up to work thanksgiving and black Friday first and then if enough didn't sign up would pick others to work. I signed up for an evening shift for the extra pay.

I also was talking to a friend who works for walmart now she is happy to work today even though she has a family because she will get extra pay.

My mom,my niece,ds and I will be going shopping starting at 10pm.
nussknacker
by Nutlady on Nov. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM

My nephew is a plumber, well, assistant, and is thrilled to be working today for the extra cash to spend on xmas gifts. ( I hope I get something good! LOL)  Doesnt bother me at all.....taking the kids later to 2 hour free skate at the roller rink, then dropping them off with their father and I just might for the first time ever, brave a particular store that has a "deal" on an item I was going to buy anyway. If not that, then a movie.....I need to somehow occupy my time until ast least midnight anyway, thats when estranged hubby (and kids father) generally leaves.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Nov. 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this

1 - if people were not willing to shop on certain days the stores would not open those days. Who is worse the big bad store that is open, or the crazed person out shoping.... it is like the egg and chicken debate.

2 - people who apply to work at stores know what they are getting into.  if it means THAT much to a person not to work certain days, then there are jobs they simply need not apply for.

3 - many people like, need, want the holiday pay.

4 - a day does not make a family... a family makes the day.  I find it completely ridiculous that people get so hung up on EXACT DATEs. The idea is to celebrate thanks... why on Gods green earth does it have to be the EXACT day of thanksgiving?  Same goes with bdays, anniversaries, and even Christmas.  The idea is to have a spcial time, celebration, or acknowledgment.... the EXACT day is NOT the purpose... the emotions are.

pasteeater_too
by Mrs. Jeter on Nov. 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I boycot shopping on Thanksgiving's Day.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it should be a personal decision of the franchaise or owners. I also totally agree with Jen. You know what you are getting when you apply for these jobs in retail and especially THIS... a day does not make a family... a family makes the day

ChellBell2013
by Beach Lover on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I think that its getting reducilus there has been people camped out for days just to get deals really why ???? my thouhghts I can shop at my house  get free shipping and I can have the product in 2 days no lines no crabby people no losing sleep Balck Friday is so over rated 

BL2010
by BL on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Personally, I would like to see them closed, but they are in business to make money and if people go to these stores and shop then they'll be open.

We were driving home from Mass Thanksgiving night and the line of people waiting to get inot Kohl's was soooooooooooo long at 8:00 pm. I do think the stores should ask their employees who would like to work and try to work around their schedules.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)