Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

what made you marry that special man and "why"?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 308 Total Views
I dated boys my own age and race in my teens. I think these days its called just hanging out with no hanky panky that is. Never fell for any of them. Anyway went to a movie with mom to watch LAURANCE OF ARABIA. My all time favourite. Fell head over heels big time for Peter Otoole. He haf the blonde hair and beautiful sparkling blues eyes. I turned to mom and said," im going to marry a man with blonde hair and blue eyes just like him". Fasr forward 20yrs old. Still wasnt interested in men. My career was more important. Anyway my friends were all getting married having children and im still single. They decided to hook me up with a nice guy. Just casually i said ok. They set the date for us to met at my job. My boss was in on it too. Not knowing who i was meeting and what he is like. Well when we finally met i almost fell over. He had blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes. Tall and handsome own a sports car and a well paid job. My life was set from that day on. Yes the reason i married my special man. His blonde hair and blue eyes. Thanks to that movie. My husbands from Finland and im a maori kiwi NZ.
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catloveralways
by SpitFire :) on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:57 PM
3 moms liked this

I  was either sleeping or drunk! LOL

LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on Nov. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

We met because I had this uncontrollable feeling I had to apply for a job that I didn't want. I had sworn off working at an auto parts store again but this job ad kept popping up and wouldn't leave my head. So I applied and got hired.

I ended up learning how to work all sections of the store and shop and by a twist ended up being stuck in the service section...where he was.

I wasn't a dater, men didn't really go for me except as a mom replacement which I wouldn't stand for.

Any who, after a call from home over lunch caused me pain, he started talking to me, comforting me and we became friends.

I loved him for his honesty, his loving me for who I was and my looks, for his loyalty, and his awesome hands!!! He drove a Porsche when we met lol so all the ladies wanted him for that alone lol....He was so much more than his car.

His kindness to me in a hard time and appreciating my intelligence started my road to loving and marrying him.

~Amaranth Dhanya~

Mama to 3 Joyfully Chaotic boys

Widow to my Crazy Chicken(4-8-13)....Always My Love

jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Nov. 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

His blue eyes and kind heart. We've dated 5 months got married and that was 27 years ago... 

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM
3 moms liked this

ROFLOL...Barb!!!! I think we double dated!!!!!

Quoting catloveralways:

I  was either sleeping or drunk! LOL

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Nov. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM
3 moms liked this

As sad as this may sound...I DIDN'T fall head over heels for my dh. I met him in an online chat room. I enjoyed our conversations and his personality. Met him for real and thought to myself "NO FREAKIN' WAY!" He took a while to grow on me...lol...and I'm not lying. We've been married 12 years now and I can honestly say I love him more today than the day we met! ROFLOL

Manth
by Manth on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this

We met in 1984 and became good friends.  He wasn't looking for a girlfriend - he was working hard on his education and knew he wanted to go through to get a PhD and didn't feel he had anything to offer.  I wasn't looking for a boyfriend - I had just come out of a BAD relationship break-up and knew I didn't EVER want to rely on a man again.  Since neither one of us was looking for a partner, we were 'safe' to be the 'plus one' on invitations.  We had a lot of interests in common, particularly science, history, science fiction and fantasy books and role playing games.  We had a lot of different interests, too - his was wargaming, mine was textile arts, so we weren't clones of one another.

The friendship was still strong, 6 years later, when he finished his PhD and moved half-way across the country for a job (which he still works at!).  Once he'd gone, we realised how much we missed one another and started writing and phone calls back and forth to keep in touch (no readily-available home internet in Australia in 1990).

He came home for that first Christmas and we got the gaming group together for an evening.  During the course of conversation, he mentioned that he was earning so much money he had decided to buy a house rather than continue renting.  His salary had more than doubled by moving, so he was living on the amount of money he was used to spending and saving the other half towards this goal.  

And one friend, the one who had introduced us in the first place, turned to me and the other unmarried girl in the group and said "There you go ladies - who is going to snap him up first".  Just as a joke, we tossed a coin and I won (if I had lost, she would have said he was mine, she wasn't interested in him so her prize would have been continued single life).  So I went down on bended knee and proposed there and then.  He tossed his head and simpered and said "Oh, this is all so sudden.  You need to give me time to think!" and everyone laughed.  I didn't think too much more about it.

Except that, 2 days later, he called me and said he couldn't STOP thinking about it!  Could we spend a while getting to know one another properly with a view to a possible marriage?  So we spent a year formally courting one another, another year engaged and eventually married on December 12th, 1992. And, for the most part, they have been a good 21 years.  We were never 'blissfully in lust', our relationship came too slowly for that - but we are deeply in love, with a quiet, abiding kind of warmth that I think is much better than a quick, hot and soon over passion.

RoseWall
by RoseWall on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:25 PM

still hasnt happened for me.

my ex was a means to have a family. i chose him based on his genetics. tall and medium complexion.

my youngest will be tall.

my other two are on the short side of average height i think.

i am still hoping to meet a special someone. one day. it could happen!

looneymom424
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I knew my hubby in high school thought he was cute but we didnt date. I went to a party and he was there after high school. We got together there and for a 8 month period we dated.
wenuck
by Moonshine on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Met hubby at work hated each other, then started talking and I was falling for him and didn't think he felt the same until one day he told me he really liked me. Lol being 31 and told I really like you! And we started dating and I loved his sense of humor, honesty, and his direction for life! He is well grounded and he keeps me well grounded cause I'm one to freak the hell out and want to jump a cliff lol! And his hazel eyes and used to be dark brown hair!
kaarina
by Boston Strong on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I married the boy across the street. Met him when I was 11. Started dating him when I was 14. I got pregnant at 15 and we were married with two kids by the time I was 17. 31 years later we have 3 kids and 4 grandchildren and we are very happily married. I married him because I was pregnant but it turned out great.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)