Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Thermal Cookers - Does Anyone Use These?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 168 Total Views

I might like to get one. A good friend has a Tiger brand thermal cooker. I watched her place the cooker in a bottom cabinet, full of her "apple soup," and it finished cooking overnight. She opened it for breakfast and it was piping hot. 

Product Details

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have one. But it would be cool to have.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Nov. 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I dont have one

1squishysmom
by Silver sister on Nov. 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I never heard of them. Are they similar to slow-cookers (crockpots)? I know you can't put those in a cabinet while in use, though

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Nov. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

No - not like slow-cookers. Those need electricity. With a thermal cooker you begin the cooking process on the stove. Assemble whatever it is you're making. Then you put the hot food into the cooker and seal the lid. It clamps together kind of like a pressure cooker. 

I'm not sure if you have to warm it first with hot water before adding the hot food, to bring it up to temperature. 

And when you come back later, your meal is completely done. No output of energy. 

You can also prepare cold foods in it. And they stay cold. Nice when you're trying to avoid salmonella at a picnic! 

Quoting 1squishysmom:

I never heard of them. Are they similar to slow-cookers (crockpots)? I know you can't put those in a cabinet while in use, though

lovegrandbaby
by Bronze sister on Nov. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

never heard of that before, but sounds like a great idea.

lucky2Beeme
by Group Admin on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM

very cool.

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Never heard of it before not sure if I would use it or not.

alexgia
by Silver sister on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM

i have never heard of it, but am always ready for the latest gadget that makes cooking easier.  are they expensive and where do you get them?

schoenlymama
by Audrey on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Well gee I know what I want for christmas now!!! :) 

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Answer to first question, yes. A bit expensive. You can get them online, and probably elsewhere. Kitchen stores? Note that some are made in Japan, like the Tiger cooker, and others in China. 

http://www.nextag.com/thermal-cookers-compare/products-html?nxtg=c790a3c0520-48964E939C951298

This one also has good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Thermal-Cooker-RPC-6000-Stainless/dp/B0036FK3UI/ref=cm_lmf_tit_4

Here's a Tiger Thermal Pot demo.

Quoting alexgia:

i have never heard of it, but am always ready for the latest gadget that makes cooking easier.  are they expensive and where do you get them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN