Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Debate question 12/5 (Warning)

Posted by   + Show Post

I just saw where fast food workers are walking out and protesting because they want $15 an hour so they can live each month. Most who have gone to college or have a skill such as welding makes around $15-20+ and hour.  I havent heard if those who made this amount already will get an increase of almost $8 an hour or not.

I agree that fast food workers work hard as both my daughters started out in FF and both went to training to earn more money with the company but since both chose other careers. I also agree that these workers need to live and make money to support thier families. BUT if they get this much of a increase would cost of living go higher? Would those who already make this amount get an increase as well?  

Your thoughts?

** This is NOT a bash or to offend any fast food workers. Just a debate question that we can share our opinion.

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
wenuck
by Moonshine on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry but some young adults don't want to work period. And my son is in that category he is 19 no woman no kids and he complains how places don't pay. He lives with his dad and nan for $200 a month. He has a car (clunker lol) but it gets him a to b. I always tell him you got to work,work,work. I've been there as a single mom making 10 hr and I worked my butt off! Every other weekend (50hrs) Going in 5am till 3:30. I paid all my bills. Its just not fair for people who are getting education and then the fast food people want $15 an hour.
looneymom424
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM

They have been doing that here for a while they are demanding that so they dont have to be on food stamps.  But if they get that wage that would make the fast food prices go up and maybe they would be out of jobs because there wouldnt be much business.  It is horrible trying to make it on the minumum wage now my son in law is 50 above it and they struggle and he is a front  end loader but the area is economically strapped for money so he doesnt get a raise.  

Once the economy straightens up maybe people can live.

PinkDragonFly
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

IMO FF should not make 15 an hr, maybe 9.25 BUT not 15! 

JMHO

it would also make the food go up in price then IMO keep customers away! 

jlsjjsmom
by Sister on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM

No I don't think fast food workers should get $15/hour. It would jack the food prices way up. I certainly wouldn't pay $10 for a big mac!

1squishysmom
by Silver sister on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

We own 2 small businesses. If we were to pay $15/hr, we would likely be out of business. Right now, we are fortunate enough that our 17yo son works ($8/hr, and he is quite skilled at what we do) and in the summer, we only have to hire 1 more person (yes, they know it's just for summer) at minimum wage. We always hire a student and they are grateful for the opportunity.

Our 21yo moved a couple years ago. He works full time loading trucks in a FedEx hub. He works his ass off! After 2 years, he only makes about $11/hr. Yes, he has health benefits, but still.....it seems the bigger companies could do a bit better. He is very valued in his position (ADHD helps, I'm sure), and he gets awards and he is requested by different managers, because they know he will get the work done. THEN, there are the bozos that stand around, watching what's going on, getting paid the same wage, because they can't find workers to go in and start at $9/hr (ish)

FF workers do work VERY hard, but not ALL of them. Wages should be based on performance, not because people feel entitled to earn as much as everyone else.

Maybe we would close our business and all work at McDonalds if they start paying $15/hr! We would likely do better than we are now. However, the entire town would be beating their doors down, trying to get the jobs! Even the steelmill employees don't do that well here.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, but I think that is wrong!! Even college educated people like myself are not making that kind of money.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I see some of the points made that if the employees get $15 and hour then the prices of food would also go up. As it is you pay $6 or more for a salad and it ia all lettuce. I could go to the store and buy that for $1 and make my own (and do) but if I am out eatting then $6 bucks for luttuce would go up to $10 and businesses that are 23bilion dollar business would go under because no one will go in and pay $20 per person for FF.. I personally will not do it!!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

If they want that kind of pay, they should get the education and move into management. There'e a reason these places hire just anyone off the streets... It doesn't require the education or experience that the higher paying jobs...

terri-553
by Terri on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM
My daughter works at a FF Place but I don't think that $15.oo is jobworthy.I mean that is a lot of money .I understand people need raises,but that much??
mom22tumblebugs
by Silver sister on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

If you can make $15 flipping burgers, what is the value of a college degree? I'm sorry, but if it takes a college degree to get hired to flip burgers for a living, our country is moving backwards!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN