Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

puppy support

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 263 Total Views
Picutures are coming! On christmas santa brought our house a puppy! He is about 11 weeks old black lab mix with the name sirius black ( yes my 18 yr old dd is a potter fan, the lady at the vet laughed when i told her his name) it has been 14 yrs since we had a puppy ( and 13 yrs since we had a baby in the house) forgot hoe exhausting it is to have either one in the house! He is chewing up wood, so went and got apple bitters, he isnt getting the spot potty training like all the books said he would ( got to go borrow my sisters carpet cleaner tomorrow)! Any ideas to help with new puppy? Have a portable kennel crate and have him in there when he isnt being watched ( was told he wont go in there potty put he does, he wasnt in there long) the good news is i have lost a little around my middle with this puppy after only a week with our new furry member! We get training which starts next month from the rescue place we got him from! so do any of you ladies have any ideas to get us to training start day with our new family member! Thank you all!
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We use a kemmel for Rosie. She is very good to not go in there. It is unusual that they will go in thier "home" area. But maybe boys are different. LOl. My DD is pad training hers. they are doing ok. They at least make sure their front paws are on the pad... LOL...

Good luck with him... 

lkane81
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
It's normal for them to go in the crate at first. After all he can't hold his bladder that long.
It will get better. Til then make it a point to let him out every 45 mins with praise when he goes. As for chewing get him some chew toys and a Kong. You can put treats in them to keep them interested.
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Take him out a lot. Crate train at night or if you are gone. Still use the crate and my dog is nearly 5.
Get lots of chew toys.
Puppy class would be good too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaarina
by Boston Strong on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM
How big is his crate? It should only be big enough for him to be able to lay down. If there's a lot of room he will go potty in his crate. Make sure to feed him in his crate to make it a happy place for him. Take him out to potty after playtime, after he wakes up, after mealtime,and before he goes to bed for the night. When he does go outside make a huge deal out of it and praise him like crazy. No water after 7 pm is a good idea too. Leave all kinds of chew toys in every room. I did this when my dog was a puppy. It wasn't very pretty with toys and bones all over the place but he has never chewed any bit of my furniture or my house.
One more thing is that black labs are predisposed to a condition called bloat. It's very scary and there are things you can do to help prevent it. Make sure no exercise or roughhousing an hour before and an hour after feeding. Do not give water an hour before or an hour after eating. Water dilutes stomach juices that digest foods. Do not use an elevated food bowl. Don't let the dog gulp water or food. Invest in a slow feed bowl. Know the signs of bloat so you can recognize and help your dog ASAP. Always keep gas x strips on hand. If you see signs of bloat give 2 gas x strips and get to the vet. I know three people who's dogs bloated and gas x saved their dogs lives.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM
That's great can't wait to see pics. :-)
Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Get a wire kennel and keep him in there when you can't watch him, although tie him to you as well when you can. Try taking him out after he eats anything about 30 minutes to an hour and the same with drinking. Limit him a few hours before bedtime to drinking but make sure and take him out just before you put him in his crate.

Start by giving him treats when he looks at you when you say his name it will work on from there to sit and stay etc but work on 1 thing at a time for training.

He will potty in there in the beginning. They all do. We are just going through all of this our 2 little ones are 8 months and 5 months.

Consistency is key. You'll soon get how long after he eats and drinks he'll need to go out and get a bell for the door you are using and use the same door every time ring that say let's go" whatever your phase will be" Potty, outside, Pee Pee.

Praise, Praise ,Praise and don't scold because as we were told it's human error when they make messes not the puppies fault we weren't paying attention to their needs.

Good Luck Have fun and update when you can.

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I forgot to say get chew toys and raw hides also to helptih the chewing, but don't give anything that looks like some thing you wouldn't want them to have example a stuffed animal then they want every stuffed animal.

Maida265
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Sounds like a LOT of good advice given! I would suggest NOT to use pee pads. Those are really only good for teaching a dog to go inside in a specified area. Dogs are black and white creatures. If you don't want your dog to go inside the house...never start allowing it in the first place.

If the dog has peed on something that is movable and won't be used again (a small rug etc...) put this out side where you want to encourage him to go. Also...if this is a male dog, after wiping up his urine with a paper towel, hang it on a stick/post you put in the ground (not sure if this is feisible where you live and it being winter.) When you walk him...be sure to bring him to THAT area. Either hang it...or wipe the post down with it. Sounds gross, but trust me...it works! The scent is there and it encourages the dog to know where to go again.

Puppies follow this simple rule schedule (almost exclusively.) They wake up...PEE. Then they play and romp for 15 minutes or so...and PEE again. They eat or play some more...and POOP...then PEE again. THEN you can bring them inside. If you bring them inside too soon...they will almost always have one of the accidents in your house.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Pickles went in her kennel at first, they can't hold it for long but she learned eventually not too.  Also, vet told us each time she went in the house you point at it, tell them no-no and then put them outside so that they eventually get the idea... Pickles does..she goes to the door now and she's 2...

HUGS and good luck...I remember those nights getting up with the puppy, rocking her to sleep and all that stuff LOL..wore my butt out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)