Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

The story is true. But what was this woman doing, in your opinion?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM
  • 109 Replies
  • 1343 Total Views
1 mom liked this

It was Christmas Eve, and we were ready to run out of gas when we pulled off the remote stretch of road into the dark Phillips 66 station.  

I was in the back with my daughter, my husband at the wheel, and my son-in-law in the passenger seat.  For a moment I forgot that we could still gas up, since the place was closed. Then I remembered: credit cards. 

My husband reached down and popped the gas tank, then slipped into the cold. The rest of us looked out the fogged-up windows, watching a woman pace up and down beside an SUV parked to our right. Exhaust billowed from SUV's tail pipe.

She appeared to be in her 30s, with auburn hair that frizzed at the bottom, near her shoulders. She wrapped her arms around her blouse, clasped her bare hands to her mouth.

Muffled voices, hers and my husband's, filtered through the closed car windows.

I was full of Christmas, talking to my daughter about the grandkids we had just left at my son's house, and eager to get back to our hotel rooms so we could wake up early. There was so much to do in the morning, cooking, opening gifts. 

"Quiet, Mom! I can't hear what they're saying." DD said, her tone authoritative, the way I imagine her talking to her squadron during some firefight in Iraq.

I shut up. A large dog nosed at the SUV windows, jumping from the back seat to the front and back again.

DH hung up the hose and got back in.

Suddenly the woman looked right at us, smiled and waved. "Merry Christmas!"

"What's her story? I asked.

"She's locked out. Stopped to get air in her tire. Said she's on her way to Colorado and her door swung shut. I offered to let her use my cell phone to call AAA, or the police, but she refused. She asked if I had a ‘slim Jim.'

"Do we?" I asked.

"No, I don't have a slim Jim," DH said, sounding tired.  "From the looks of it, she's done this before." 

SIL got out and DH went with him. They wanted to help, but the situation seemed impossible. 

It occured to me that ours could be the last car to come along for a long while. Maybe no one else would pull into the closed service station at all. 

SIL nodded empathetically as he listened to the woman's plight.

It was midnight, the temperature down in the teens.

"What are we going to do?" I asked when the men finally got back in the car.

"Nothing." SIL said. "She said she doesn't want to bother the police on Christmas Eve. And she doesn't have enough money for AAA."

"She'll freeze to death," I said.

DH did a U-turn out of the gas station. He pulled the cell phone from his coat pocket but didn't take his eyes off the road.

"She'll figure it out," SIL said, discouraging DH from further involvement.

"We need to call the police. It's the right thing to do," I insisted.

In the back seat, DD pulled out her cell phone. "It's about to die," she said.

I thought the woman might die out there, too.

Then SIL passed his phone back. "You make the call," he said.

And with the calm of someone who has dealt with more than her share of life-or-death situations, my daughter dialed 9-1-1. "There's a lady locked out of her car at the corner of 285 and Alta Vista. She appears to need help."

The next day - Christmas Day - was clear and cold. When we passed the service station again, the SUV was gone.

This story is true. What I want to know is, why do you think the woman didn't want to call the police? Where do you imagine she was coming from, where was she going, and what was she doing, stranded outside Santa Fe, NM, on Christmas Eve?

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by Just Me on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Hmmm, sounds like she was up to no good.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Sounds to me like she was up to no good. A sane person would have wanted to "bother the police" rather than to frezze to death outside a closed service station...

And I would have called the police as well... 

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:10 PM

OK. What kind of no good. What do you imagine she might have been up to?

Quoting BL2010:

Hmmm, sounds like she was up to no good.

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:44 PM
3 moms liked this

I say she had a warrant out for her arrest and she was fleeing trying to get to Colorado and take on a new identity.

LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Frankly, it sounds like she wanted in the SUV for warmth and to see if there was anything worthwhile.

I don't know many who actually call it a slim Jim except a few men. So I'd think it odd she knew the name of it. I'd also find it odd that she wouldn't call the cops because, 1-they are working no matter the holiday, and 2-her dog. You'd think she'd be a tad more worried about her dog locked in there...cold, hungry, needing to go potty, etc.

mjgm1966
by Bronze sister on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:57 PM
2 moms liked this

lol.  Everyone I know calls it a Slim Jim.  Maybe it's a territorial term.....

My thoughts....maybe she had stolen the vehicle.  Or was on the run for something.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

Frankly, it sounds like she wanted in the SUV for warmth and to see if there was anything worthwhile.

I don't know many who actually call it a slim Jim except a few men. So I'd think it odd she knew the name of it. I'd also find it odd that she wouldn't call the cops because, 1-they are working no matter the holiday, and 2-her dog. You'd think she'd be a tad more worried about her dog locked in there...cold, hungry, needing to go potty, etc.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Jan. 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm thinking mabey she was on drugs. Probably on parol for drugs and had them in her car hmmmmm!
MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I love this. I wonder, now. Why is she wanted? I am thinking she might have been in an abusive relationship and stolen her husband's SUV. Now she's trying get to Colo. because her mother is dying. Her husband filed a police report, and she doesn't want him or the police on her trail. If she makes peace with her mother, she stands to inheriit the house.  It's her only way to shake the beast she married - the man her mother told her not to get involved with in the first place. And the reason she and her mother haven't spoken in five years. 

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

I say she had a warrant out for her arrest and she was fleeing trying to get to Colorado and take on a new identity.

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:45 PM

She might have known the name "Slim Jim" because she'd done the same thing a time or two before - locked her keys in the car. 

Quoting mjgm1966:

My thoughts....maybe she had stolen the vehicle.  Or was on the run for something.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Jan. 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I imagine you are right about her being on the run. I think she stole the vehicle from her abusive husband, and now is running to Colorado where her mother is dying. The younger woman figures if she goes now, she stands to inherit the house. What she doesn't know is that her mother had a gambling habit, and the house is mortgaged to the hilt. If she inherits the house, she'll owe more it's worth, and have to come up with astronomical monthly payments. Where will she get the money?? 

Quoting mjgm1966:

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)