Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

color hair or not to color hair?

Posted by   + Show Post

at this age the grays are starting to show i want to be strong and hold on to my naturual color. for God created me this way. what would you do?

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
michaux
by New sister on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I've been going gray since I was 11,started coloring in my 20's.....I still color mine but I'm not great about keeping it up though. I really need to color my hair this weekend....I agree it's a tedious chore!

Jazzdoll
by Sister on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I leave my base colour alone and just add highlights and lowlights to help blend the greys.  Less maintenance and more natural looking. 

When it comes to sax, bigger IS better.

mom_dl6
by Miss Mary Belle on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I color my hair i'm not ready for my Gray hair .

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been coloring my hair a long time and the reason is that I love the color. It's one of the few things I rely on, when I look in the mirror to make me smile.

I've thought about going gray but I'm not gray enough to be happy with it. My gray is silver but at this point I think it would be way too salt and pepper for me to be chill with it.

tengirlsoneboy
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I let mine go a few years back, not sure it was the right thing to do but I would feel cheap by recoloring now!

secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I will color and highlight as long as there is money in the bank! lol........I will not age gracefully but with a fight!

flowrsgalore
by Silver sister on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Go in for highlights sometimes low lights.  I'm not crazy about spending the money or time in the chair, but I can't take those gray hairs that are right there front & center.

latc50
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I just colored my hair after 4 months of letting my gray out. I liked the gray but even at 50 it was making me look older. so I colored it last night and am so glad I did. I would say try it with the gray for a few months and see how you feel like I did. You'll know if it something you want to keep or not.

here is me with the white hair and then me now after I dyed it.

momaof8
by Sister on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

dye it I have for along time now lol

fiddlerbird555
by Sister on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I famously declared at age 30 (my family grays early) that I would never color my hair unless I needed to go job hunting. At age 49 I needed to go job hunting. Now I don't want to go white overnight, though I occasionally let the roots show. I also allowed the opportunity to add some red (How did YOU have a red haired child) and avoid the "Grandma" comments, which has been nice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)