Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick ? Girls hope you can help :)

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 222 Total Views

What's the first few steps or so to start Home schooling my DD for next year or even finish this year at home? Hope you can help. 

(I know there are groups on here that pretain to this but wanted to ask here as i know a lot of Moms in all groups do Home school and are groups that are about said ?) Wanted to ask Friends first .

Hope you'resnowgirl all staying warm and have a Beautiful Day  

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi!

When I took my daughters out of public schol and homeschooled I had to first let the school know by signing them out of school with my plan of action. I then went and found a program that would work for both my DD and used it. They use to have a great disk that I got at Sams club that helped me with activities and each subject they would need for each year. I also found mothers in my area that homeschooled and we got together to talk and give advice.

Good luck!

wenuck
by Moonshine on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM
I'm not sure sorry. Never home schooled. Here is a bump for ya!
ChellBell2013
by Busy momma of 3 boys on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Look up what your state relualtions are and do a google search for programs in your area and just see what they have to  offer ... what grade is the child in ?? and why do you want to pull from public school I am just curious ??

mamajoie
by Sister on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I homeschooled my daughter for 5 years, in two different states. Every area has different rules, programs and resouces. Some school districts have online options and many counties have homeschool programs that give you books and curriculum free and you meet with a teacher 1x a month. There are also online programs and social groups. You have to check and see what is available in your area. Good luck and have fun.

BoopBettyBoop
by Sister on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Check out K-12.  The program is completely free and they adhere to state guidelines, and provide all the materials that you will need for her schooling.

LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Find state laws and get those ducks in a row. While doing that pick the program you want to use. Some states want a detailed list of what you're going to be teaching and how, other states only need a form filled out with your intentions and others want details and will have your child tested periodically to make sure she is up to state standards.

I did my own worksheets and such when I homeschooled my oldest for a couple years.

If I did it again I'd do K-12.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I never homeschooled, but my bff, Lisa did. She found a local store that sold alot of what she needed and used. Try to find a local group of homeschooling Moms. Good luck to you~!

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Sister -lp on Jan. 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Here are my best tips.

1. Look up your state laws. Make sure you are in compliance. I like this site rather than HSLDA

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm

2. Decide what your mutual goals for the future of your student are, high school degree, GED, college and so on.

3. Find out your teen's best learning styles. I'd use POC4U to aide this.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

4. Research ways to do an education along with your teen. I recommend The Teenage Liberation Handbook.

5. Pick out curriculum (if any)  WITH your teen. I do not recommend buying a full curriculum the first year. It tends to lead to frustration and a waste of money.

6. Be flexible, expect change.

7. Locate local groups and resources.

8. Don't forget to make it fun, relax now and then, just enjoy each other.

9. Be sure to keep your student in touch with any friends they really want to spend time with and which you do not feel are a really bad influence.

And finally, relax, relax, relax. The very best thing you can do is de-school. Let your students find what their are passions and pursue them.

I have one that has won a four year academic scholarship and one that has won a renewable athletic scholarship. That's only my student athlete's first college visit and offer. There are more offers to come.

Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it.

Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years.

BD

MentorMom1
by Silver sister on Jan. 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I have several lovely products of homeschooling who are now respectable citizens of the world, carrying out whatever plans they and their Maker may have for them.  I will tell you that I was not an "unschooler." My kids had a regular schedule every day. Of the four, we have three BA's and (almost) three master's degrees. 

First bit of advice: if you are really bent on homeschooling, for whatever reason, let people say what they will.

2. You will need to become the expert - and in the process, become the student.  Learn along with your student. Make it fun.

3. Discover local resources available to you and your child. Join a local homeschool organization. These may be listed at the State Department of Ed. website. Some public libraries have HS resources, as well.

4. Call the school district office. They will inform you of the legal requirements in your state and possible resources available to homeschoolers.

5. Make arrangements for your child to see friends on a regular basis. Have her in at least one activity outside of home. In addition to our trips to the library, field trips to museums, travel, etc., my dds were in Girl Scouts. If she's under 10, one activity should be plenty. Over ten, add a sport or dance. Over 14, add a volunteer job. Over 16, add a job shadowing component for career exploration. And maybe a part-time job. Homeschoolers need to know they're just like other kids. And having nonparental adult mentorship is very important. 

6. I realize there are online schools funded by the state, but I am not a fan. Here's why: I don't think any child should have to sit at a computer for hour upon hour. Kids learn in different ways. Key into how your child learns best, but also challenge their other learning modalities. This is important for integration of information. If kids just see something, it doesn't stick as well as if they also write it down and say it outloud, etc. Plus, the graduation rate with online programs is very low. Remember, their goal is making money by having your child on their roster.

7. Create a cycle of "positive learning" that includes plenty of practice with newly-learned concepts. Practice creates competence. Competence creates self-esteem. Self-esteem creates a postivie attitude toward more learning, especially what they are good at and what they like. 

8. Let your child know that you are in this together.  Even high schoolers become resentful when you drop a boatload of work in their lap and then go off somewhere. Especially during the period when you are establishing your HS relationship, she needs a partner.

9. Expect some resentment. Your child will miss her friends and the school routine at first, even if she is unhappy there. Provide empathetic understanding. She needs you  to listen. You don't have to have all the answers.

10. If your child has gaps in her learning, find out what they are and fill them with the appropriate materials. For instance, when I taught remedial reading, I included cursive handwriting as part of the curriculum. This gave my students a tremendous sense of achievement, and helped them with note-taking in school.

11. Do whatever testing is required. Keep records. I kept attendance records, records of field trips, had them write down the names, authors and summaries of every book they read for pleasure and reports. Copy the cover and table of contents of every text book. This is like a "scope and sequence." I needed these things when my oldest DD applied to college, and when the younger DD went to high school in her senior year. The counselor said they often put homeschooled kids back a year in their classes because they know a lot of them don't really do much at home. They let my DD enroll in whatever she wanted, and they accepted ALL her homeschool credits.

There are many excellent home school resources out there. I recommend Teaching Textbooks for math. Your students gets CD Roms with more teaching than a real teacher provides, plus a corresponding text book. The curriculum goes through higher math.

And for grammar and comp, "how to" write reports and research papers, A Beka Grammar and Comp. It's extrememely thorough, and provides a "write-in" workbook that isn't intimidating. 

Good luck. I wish you much success in your homeschool adventure.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM

good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)