Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I need to get this out!

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM
  • 34 Replies
  • 551 Total Views

So my story or a bit of it at the moment.

I mentioned in another post that my 9 year old was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on Christmas Day. We took him to our little town hosptial believing it was the flu and a couple of hours later we were in an ambulance off to the city over 3 hours away. We had no idea of course he had it but looking back at all the signs, it makes so much sense now.

He was admitted for 7 days and it was extremely tough for all of us especially our little guy. We have by no other choice have had a major change in our lives. I find myself crying myself to sleep at night or at other times where I am so overwhelmed by it.

I stay up with him most nights and just stare at him. In fear he will drop so low that he never wakes up.

We kept him home for an additional week with us so that we could learn how to balance his sugar levels. We took training at the hospital and mandatory training took place for the entire staff at his school.

Tomorrow is his first day back at school and the first day out of my sights. I am showing up before his gym class to check his levels pre and post just to get an idea. Than I leave him until he gets home on the bus hours later.

I am sick to my stomach.

I suggested home schooling and he is thinking about it. Than I suggested I just go sit at his school, he looked like he was seriously considering it as well.

We are all scared.

I think hubby shut down on me as well, I don't even know what to say to him right now. He is having a much more difficult time with it than the rest of us. He is unapproachable right now and I get it. Yet, the bit we do say to one another is bitter.

Oh god I love that little guy of mine...

To all the mama's and papa's out there that deal with a life threatening disease with their children...

My heart to you all...

Thank you for allowing me the time...

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChellBell2013
by Beach Lover on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs

Make the school informed

pack him what he needs to eat lunch if he gets snack during the day make sure to pack healthy snacks 

you will go out of your mind staying at school all day just to watch over him yes it will be hard to  send him back with out you by his side but he will be ok

deesam
by Twins on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Its hard to deal with my sister's son was diagnosis was discovered the exact same way as your son. He was 8 at the time. He is now 13 and she is still battling his levels. The school as every year they get a different nurse. Most of them have no idea how diabetes works carbs verse insulin.

I think there is a support group on cm that can help you.

Keep strong and I wish you luck.
catloveralways
by SpitFire :) on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Check  with  your  Doctor  or  Hospital  for  any  Support Groups.They  have  them here.  I  worked  as  a Dietitian back in the 70's. Juvenile  Dibetes  is  rough. Put manageable.

ChellBell2013
by Beach Lover on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM

check and see if there are any on here too and pintrest would be a good place too look for  recipes that are healthy and you can make

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by ASS QUEEN on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM
3 moms liked this

I know you are worried and this is definitely going to be a life changing adjustment. However, letting your little guy live as normal a life as possible is very important. Diabetes is a treatable disease. With proper training and monitoring, your little guy can live a long happy life. You will never be able to watch him 24 hours a day. Your husband is worried and rightfully so.Give him time to adjust. You will all be more secure once you learn to read the signs, check his levels, and regulate his insulin. I was diagnosed at age 27 and was terrified. I was a single mom with two small kids to raise. It ran in my family but didnt show up until they were elderly. Its rare to get dx at 27 but, I did. Once I learned to read the signs and treat my diabetes, I now dont fear for my life. Im lucky because I can treat mine with diet. Eventually I will be insulin dependent but taking care of myself can prolong that need. You are doing all the right things. youre educating yourselves and learning what you need to treat your son. You will always worry but your son can live a long life with this disease and your child can still do anything he wants in life.

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 12, 2014 at 5:46 PM

hugs... please talk to your child's school nurse.  She/He may be more experienced with his diagnosis than you think...  it may help.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:05 PM
Hugs I am so sorry on how you are feeling! Yes us mothers it seems to be much harder. Not saying its not for the fathers but its a natural instinct to be so protective of them. I totally agree with the other women!
Hugs again!!!
KW1280
by Silver sister on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Quoting wenuck: Hugs I am so sorry on how you are feeling! Yes us mothers it seems to be much harder. Not saying its not for the fathers but its a natural instinct to be so protective of them. I totally agree with the other women!

Hugs again!!!
LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Hugs and love.

My 9 year old was diagnosed at 7 with an inflammatory bowel disease. It's managed right now with meds but it was scary at first. He had to have emergency surgery after a routine CT scan. 

Totally understand the need to protect. Just keep learning and it'll be ok. He'll be ok.

wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Hugs mama!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN