Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Question for anyone who had the flu shot (update)

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM
  • 53 Replies
  • 841 Total Views

My husband and daughter (older DD) both had the flu shot several months ago. About two weeks ago my husband came down with this burn like rash that burns and itches. My daughter has came down with the same rash.. Mind you they live 2 hours away from each other and both haven't been in the same room since each had the rash or several weeks before. The only thing they have in common is the flu shot.

My younger daughter Meg had a BAD reaction to the flu shot when she was 12 (she is 25 now) and haven't taken one since. My hub has been to three different doctors and all three were stump when they saw it and gave him medication that didnt even touch the rash more less the symptoms. My Daughter who also has the rash went to the doctor and she said that the doctor said she thought she was in a fire because this is what it looks like but like my hubs doctors not sure what it is.

Update: Hub went to the dr and the dr said it was not shingles or anything related. He did say since this was the hubs 1st shot it could be possible it is a reaction since our daughter is having one and our youngest had one years ago. He said its possible that it is something in it that their bodies cant tolerate. So he is going to dermatology to make sure but the doctor said he was almost sure it is the cause of this rash.

My question is have any of you experience this rash after taking the flu shot even months later?

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM

No, I have not. Wow, that is a strange reaction! Hope they both feel better!!

flowrsgalore
felt crummy last night, woke up feeling crummy this morning. I know, I know snap yourself out of it.
Today at 7:15 AM
by Silver sister on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I did get one probably about a month ago. No issues.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

It is a strange reaction and it has had me wondering and when my DD called this morning I was going back wondering what they had in common and this is the only thing.

Quoting Mariagma3:

No, I have not. Wow, that is a strange reaction! Hope they both feel better!!

mrgetinold
by Gold sister on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM
No rash here, we got the shot in oct. My dh is very rashy ( and he gets hives, but they have no idea why?) Have either of your dh or dd drs suggested they do a biopsy on the rash? And was it the regular dr or a derm dr the saw? Sorry they are going through this, hope they are non rashy soon!
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Never have. I do feel bad for two or three days after taking it. But not bad enough to avoid getting the shot. I'm assuming the rash in the area of the shot?

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM

My hub is going back tomorrow and we have a few suggestions and we will ask for them to do a biopsy. He saw three doctors no derm yet but hopefully they will send him one tomorrow.

You said your hub has hives, could it be from the flu shots? My younger DD who got the shot when she was 12 never got hives or this rash but she got ear infections that lasted for the entire year. She hasnt had a ear infection since then and no flu shot. When we spoke to the doctor about it they didnt want to admit that it could be the cause because they wanted her to take it again. Glad I listen to myself and not the dr.

Quoting mrgetinold: No rash here, we got the shot in oct. My dh is very rashy ( and he gets hives, but they have no idea why?) Have either of your dh or dd drs suggested they do a biopsy on the rash? And was it the regular dr or a derm dr the saw? Sorry they are going through this, hope they are non rashy soon!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM

No both have it on the chest area and forehead and the arm (just a rash not burn like) and back. Mainly heat related areas (my hub wears a hat).

Quoting ALolies:

Never have. I do feel bad for two or three days after taking it. But not bad enough to avoid getting the shot. I'm assuming the rash in the area of the shot?

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM

So sorry Momma....I have learned to get my flu shot in August instead of waiting till you are exposed to everything...This year is tough but with all other things wrong its worked pretty good...I got a really bad episode but its because my lungs are so sensitive and sitting in the dr office any length of time is a crap shoot....You can be infected up to 10 days before your body breaks down to the flu bug but in the mean time I would say both of your incidents seem to be a reaction (similar) to something in the formula...I would still take the shot but wayyyyyyyyyy before the season begins...

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM

That is odd...

Quoting dana63:

No both have it on the chest area and forehead and the arm (just a rash not burn like) and back. Mainly heat related areas (my hub wears a hat).

Quoting ALolies:

momto3infl
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Never had this issue with myself or kids with flu shots sorry bump. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)