Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Conversation Over a Rolling Boil

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 204 Total Views

Waiting for my tea water to boil the other night, I asked my husband whether the small bubbles at the bottom are an indication that boiling point has been reached. 

No, he said. The bubbles have to come to the top. In other words, a rolling boil.

But I don't want to use up all the oxygen in the water.

His reply? There is no such thing as oxygen-deprived water. 

Au contraire, mon ami. There is such a thing. According to "Scientific American" (Feb. 3, 2010) "A plague of oxygen-deprived waters from the deep ocean is creeping up over the continental shelves off the Pacific Northwest and forcing marine species there to relocate or die."

So yes, while bubbles may need to rise the top (which I just learned is called "nucleation"), I am now wondering if by allowing all the oxygen to boil out of my tea water I could be facing a potentially fatal situation. Or maybe I will just need to relocate.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/low-oxygen-ocean-coastal/

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

LMBO..... very serious question indeed.  I do believe that if your tea water is oxygen deprived you MUST relocate before drinking it.... perhaps where ever there is a comfy chair and few people.  Because they will be depleting the oxygen too... maybe on a nice deck with trees so that you would be near plants.  That could help to counter balance the issue at hand.

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Learned something new.....

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this

here... this might work

or this...

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:03 PM

But you know that at high altitude it takes water longer to boil. Thus the need for more trees. 

Quoting sahlady:

LMBO..... very serious question indeed.  I do believe that if your tea water is oxygen deprived you MUST relocate before drinking it.... perhaps where ever there is a comfy chair and few people.  Because they will be depleting the oxygen too... maybe on a nice deck with trees so that you would be near plants.  That could help to counter balance the issue at hand.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I like Jen's idea... I'll take my tea to a secluded area with lots of plant life... Lol...

wenuck
by Moonshine on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM

=)

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM

true.... but if you choose the right mountain it could be FULL of trees.

Quoting MentorMom1:

But you know that at high altitude it takes water longer to boil. Thus the need for more trees. 

Quoting sahlady:

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM

lmbo

ravenseeyore
by Gee on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what I was taught learning to cook. 

rolling boilDefinition: a state of continuous rapid boiling that does not stop or slow when stirred; also called full rolling boil.

24summer
by Sister on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Tea water:  Start with fresh water (which should be full of oxygen)  when it reaches a rolling boil, promptly take it off the heat source and make tea.  The longer it boils, it will take the oxygen out and make the tea taste flat.  

This is something I have read in countless tea books.  However, why not go somewhere to drink tea where there are lots of trees.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)