Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Were people happier in the 70's?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM
  • 37 Replies
  • 456 Total Views

I saw a comment that someone had said that people in the 70's. especially the kids were so much happier than they are now..

Do you agree with this statement?

cafe.gif (14184 bytes)Join us for coffee~~

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deesam
by Twins on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes I believe so. There were different values then. There wasn't so much cruelness towards others then. We had respect for each other. Money wasn't so valued then.
We could live on what we made and be happy.
1kidmomajm
by Kristy on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I say yes. Kids used their imaginations more. Foods were more natural for better health, economy was easier to live by. 

LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Based on my memories that were in the mid 70's into the 80's....Yes.

Moms_Angels1960
by McBunny Pie <3 on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Yes, I do we made our own fun and there wasn't the internet really to drag people down and you visited family and friends more than people do now. The words weren't as easily thrown out there as they are now a days. I think people think more of money then they do of anything else.And people actually sat down to meals as a family now they eat on the run and usually not the best stuff either.

gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. There seemed to be less stress about getting ahead of the Jones'.

schoenlymama
by Audrey on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I am going to have to say yes, I was born in 75' but still have fond mems playing outside, making up all these exciting games with my sisters-- with things we found around the house. I think it was totally different and very different values thats for sure.. I mean my children find there own fun, but there are so many technology stuff these days that I feel dont "help" when they can be outside playing, being active!! being kids!!! 

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Kids were allowed to be kids. No internet, limited tv time, etc. Playing outside was fun, not a punishment!

SpiritFortress
by Sister on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say yes. 

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:59 PM
4 moms liked this

I look back and I have to say yes as well because we didnt worry about keeping up with the Jones and kids were allowed to play outside and we knew that when the street lights came on we came in and our cell phone was our parents yelling for us. I remember we would want to sleep out and my mom would set up a tent and we would sleep outside without any worry. We didnt need the internet to keep up with family because Sunday and Holidays were family time. Parents were outside talking and there was no sitting in front of the TV from daylight until bedtime.. Missed those days~

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze sister on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Meh. My sweet dad has never ever been "happy "

I believe CHILDREN were because we could walk or ride our bikes around the block with no fear. Parents were more relaxed as well. We knew most of our neighbors and had the. "streetlight rule"

I don't think it 's a difference in values as much as ignorance is bliss plus feeling a true feeling if trust of people within our communities.

Bad things may happen.... Even to someone a family or child knows , but the terror parents have of everyone ( including a child 'a cousins) due the horrid " truth in media" ..... Kids would have to be less happy today because moms are panicked about anyone new or any new community event.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)