Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Is one of these your state? See the full article here. I'm in NH and I will say the property taxes are crazy. That makes up for not having state tax.

State

2012 Mean Property Taxes Paid

Property Tax as a Percent of Home Value

New Jersey

$7,318

2.32%

New Hampshire

$5,230

2.18%

Connecticut

$5,200

1.88%

New York

$5,040

1.68%

Illinois

$4,469

2.28%

Vermont

$4,328

1.62%

Rhode Island

$3,820

1.67%

Massachusetts

$3,805

1.19%

Wisconsin

$3,530

2.07%

Alaska

$3,290

1.28%

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
firelites
by Anne on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM

wow

my2kidsmom9498
by Sister on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Since I reside in the People Republic of Illinois, it is high. Any of the collar counties and Cook county are WAY higher than the rest of the state, that is the Chicago area. 4.5 k would be a smaller house on not much land in that area, probably just 2 bedrooms in an in town location in Chicagoland.
Hopeful04
by Sister on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
We're in Lake county. It is crazy.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498: Since I reside in the People Republic of Illinois, it is high. Any of the collar counties and Cook county are WAY higher than the rest of the state, that is the Chicago area. 4.5 k would be a smaller house on not much land in that area, probably just 2 bedrooms in an in town location in Chicagoland.
nussknacker
by Nutlady on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Wowsa. Maybe I should not complain so much. I pay over 5 grand for 59 acres. I thought that was outrageous! Especially on the years the crop does not do well. Oh, this is in Ca. THere is no home , though. I did live on 1.8 acres in Oregon for a year, and the taxes were the same amount! Wayyyyy made up for there not being sales taxes!

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Quoting Hopeful04: We're in Lake county. It is crazy.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498: Since I reside in the People Republic of Illinois, it is high. Any of the collar counties and Cook county are WAY higher than the rest of the state, that is the Chicago area. 4.5 k would be a smaller house on not much land in that area, probably just 2 bedrooms in an in town location in Chicagoland.
What area in Lake County? That's my hometown.

xomommy
by New sister on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

We live in MA, but we also own property in NH, so we pay both high taxes. 

BL2010
by Snookims on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Hi and welcome. Thanks for jumping in.

I'm originally from Watertown/Waltham, MA and now live up in NH. May I ask what part of MA and NH you are?

Quoting xomommy:

We live in MA, but we also own property in NH, so we pay both high taxes. 

Hopeful04
by Sister on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
We're in Lindenhurst, up near Antioch.

Quoting Mariagma3:

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Quoting Hopeful04: We're in Lindenhurst, up near Antioch.

Quoting Mariagma3:

We used to live in Gurnee. We're moving back in April or May, we think. :)

Hopeful04
by Sister on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Small world. I do all my shopping in Gurnee. We are moving to Pennsylvania in June.

Quoting Mariagma3:

Quoting Hopeful04: We're in Lindenhurst, up near Antioch.

Quoting Mariagma3:

We used to live in Gurnee. We're moving back in April or May, we think. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)