Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death - What a Waste of Perfectly Great Talent

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:56 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 373 Total Views

Another talented actor dies of a drug overdose. I adored Philip Seymour Hoffman.

He won Best Actor for "Capote." If you've never seen the movie, Hoffman WAS Truman Capote.  

I loved him in "Pirate Radio" Just saw it a few weeks ago. Not a new film, but what fun! Based on a true story, it's about the period of time in the 1960s when the British government would not allow radio stations to play rock and roll. Can you believe it? A group of crazy guys found a way around it by broadcasting from a ship.

He was also nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Doubt, "starring Meryl Streep. Another great film. Seymour played a priest suspected of having an inappropriate relationship with a boy. 

And "Hunger Games" fans will recall his role as Plutarch Heavensby ("Hunger Games: Catching Fire").

Hoffman leaves behind his partner of 15 years, Mimi O'Donnell, and their three children.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-dies-at-46.html?_r=0

Philip Seymour Hoffman

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Very sad. Tired of seeing all these drug overdoses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deesam
by Twins on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Makes me want to cry and furious at the same time.
gonecrazi
by Lucky :) on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM

So very, very sad.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Sad =(
Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:15 PM
5 moms liked this

Okay...I'm gonna say this once. THIS TICKS ME OFF ROYALY! Why do these guys think they are invincable? He was a family man...left 3 kids and to know that he was found with a flippin' needle in his arm makes me LIVID!!!!!!! He was 46! Not a young man and certainly old enough to know this crap kills!!!! I swear if he hadn't died, and I was his wife...I would have killed him myself!

I HATE drugs...I hate what they do to innocent people (the families.) It's worse than many of the diseases out there because it sneaks up and steals away everything precious to you. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Sad

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I know. I know. When Heath Ledger died, I cried my eyes out.

Read what Wikipedia had on Hoffman: Hoffman had a longstanding relationship with costume designer Mimi O'Donnell[16]. They met while working on the 1999 play In Arabia We'd All Be Kings, which Hoffman directed. They had a son born in 2003, and two daughters, born in 2006[17] and 2008.[18] In a 2006 interview with CBS, Hoffman spoke of his struggle with drug use, saying he had abused "anything I could get my hands on. I liked it all."[19]

It seems from what I know of drug abuse, and addiction in general, people do it to numb themselves, so they don't have to think about whatever negative memories or traumas, feelings or lies about themselves they are harboring. 

I don't understand. Addiction makes life's accomplishments meaningless. Because there was something deep inside that wouldn't allow the person the simple joy of living. 

Quoting Maida265:

Okay...I'm gonna say this once. THIS TICKS ME OFF ROYALY! Why do these guys think they are invincable? He was a family man...left 3 kids and to know that he was found with a flippin' needle in his arm makes me LIVID!!!!!!! He was 46! Not a young man and certainly old enough to know this crap kills!!!! I swear if he hadn't died, and I was his wife...I would have killed him myself!

I HATE drugs...I hate what they do to innocent people (the families.) It's worse than many of the diseases out there because it sneaks up and steals away everything precious to you. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I JUST saw this... so upset... sigh....what a waste...

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM
addiction is such a terrible beast and does not rest intil you die. unfortunately it kills and i agree, what a waste.
anchorgurl
by Bronze sister on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Heartbroken.  He was so very talented.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)