Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm going nuts over my neighbor!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 569 Total Views

We live on an island.  There are 40 houses here.  All but 5 of us have been here for 30+ years.  When we first moved here the neighborhood had a party welcoming us.  It was great.  The man that lives right next to me, has been here for 60 years, his family for 100.  All the other neighbors complained about him, and I couldnt' figure out why.  He is very nice, helpful and giving.  

Now I know why!!!

He is always outside making noise.  He wakes up, puts his stereo on, which has speakers all over the outside of his house and along his pier.  The outside of his house looks like an Alaskan Settlers homestead.  He always has power tools going.  He is always banging, hammering, drilling, something that makes noises. 

Countless times DH and I have been outside, on the pier or deck and just relaxing, talking, watching the water.  He comes over and talks to us, or has the radio on, or is building something.  This is all day, every day, usually no matter what the weather is.  

Today is it sleeting and raining, very cold.  I swear my first thought was SWEET, he will not be outside doing things, I can relax.  NOPE, his freakin heat pump unit outside is making this horrible screeching noise and clunking every few minutes.  This is unreal!  I feel like I live in an apartment and its an individual house! Oh and he isn't single.  He actually just moved his girlfriend in and her 2 chlidren.  She is 20 years younger then him and NEVER, EVER comes outside.  She said she doesn't like the sun, the cold and the water.  Hmmm, ok!

Just wanted to vent.  LOL

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Vent away hun... Hugz!

BL2010
by BL on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Vent away... But, I do have a question... He's lived there for over 60 years and you over 30 and you're just realizing he is like this?

omajoy
by New sister on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

That's too bad.  Makes it hard to relax.  Perhaps you could try telling him not to come over between certain hours, that you and your husband are trying to establish a quiet time.   How about between 10am and 3pm for instance? 

jjames1990
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM

No, we have been here 2 years.  Everyone else in the neighborhood has been here for 30+ years.  Seems the only way a house becomes available is when someone dies.  

Quoting BL2010:

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Vent away... But, I do have a question... He's lived there for over 60 years and you over 30 and you're just realizing he is like this?

jjames1990
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM

The time thing may work.  Our hours would be from 5-dark, since DH works.  DH has went over a few times, into his open garage and turned his music off.  Because he will put it on, and then leave! 

Quoting omajoy:

That's too bad.  Makes it hard to relax.  Perhaps you could try telling him not to come over between certain hours, that you and your husband are trying to establish a quiet time.   How about between 10am and 3pm for instance? 

BL2010
by BL on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. But still, it's been going on all this time. Have you ever asked him to turn the radio down? Is there a town ordinace that no loud noises between certain hours?

Quoting jjames1990:

No, we have been here 2 years.  Everyone else in the neighborhood has been here for 30+ years.  Seems the only way a house becomes available is when someone dies.  

Quoting BL2010:

jjames1990
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM

There is a county ordinace.  After 10pm no noise, so he actually has his stereo on a timer to go off at 10pm!  We live on an island, no real "laws" out here, except for the EPA, and apparently my neighbors have called the EPA on him several times for work he has done in his yard that could damage the Bay.  Its crazy, I thought our neighbors were being petty and silly but everyte hing about him is intrusive.

I'm going to have DH go talk to him.  DD is due to have a baby next month.  (adult, 24, husband asked for divorce when she said she was pregnant and she moved home) I don't want to not be able to keep my windows open in the summer because of the noise and I don't want to not be able to take the baby outside.  

Quoting BL2010:

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. But still, it's been going on all this time. Have you ever asked him to turn the radio down? Is there a town ordinace that no loud noises between certain hours?

Quoting jjames1990:

Quoting BL2010:

Maida265
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Insensitive neighbors are the worst!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Hugs I hear ya....
MethuenMom
by Bronze sister on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Get all of your neighbors together and have a good old fashion tribal council with the gentleman.  At this point it's not about seniority, it's about island harmony. 

If that doesn't work you can get law inforcement involved.  If this island is in the US (from your weather description I'm guessing your in the North East) you do have a police department.  They may not be located on the island but you do have one somewhere.

Good Luck to ya!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)