Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Landlord help needed

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM
  • 46 Replies
  • 732 Total Views
On Monday the landlord shut down my water from outside. I filed a complain against him with the code enforcement and I have pictures of him doing this. I read about tenant laws and it says a landlord cannot kicked you out of the property in order not to fix the damages, in this case hot water. I want to leave but not having where to go doesn't help me. In the papers I read it says I can sue him for shutting the water. I have it back now bc I called a plumber.
What do you think? I'm not sure what to do. It's not karma I'm afraid, I just don't like being mean and I feel mean if I pursue it. But I think I have a right to do so.
I'm outside the courthouse with papers ready in hand to go file. I'm nervous and scared. I'm not looking for compensation but he isn't being too kind either with us not having hot water since Dec and now him shutting down the water altogether.
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Wow, I'd definitely file the complaint. What is his reason for shutting off the water?

Didn't you just move into this place not long ago?

ravenseeyore
by Gee on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would file the complaint.  There are certain things that you have the right to expect when you sign a lease, one of them being hot water.

MethuenMom
by Bronze sister on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I would say if there was no harm done I wouldn't file, but the next time I saw him I would tell him that he will need to let me know ahead of time if he is doing anything to the building that would affect my apartment. 

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

1. No landlord can just arbitrarily shut off the water. If it is shut off, the water co is the only one authorized to do so.

2. I thought you just moved? How much longer are you supposed to be there?  Good luck to you! I'm so sorry!

nana776
by Anna on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:12 PM
4 moms liked this

If he turned off your water to be mean and to try to get you to move, then I would definitely file. I'm fairly certain what he did was illegal. If he has other tenants, you could be saving them a lot of headaches too. If he's a slumlord, they depend on people's unwillingness or inability to do anything about the illegal things that they do, to continue to make their money.

If I didn't have kids and moving wasn't such a PIA, I would make a career out of moving into these places just so I could put slumlords out of business.

flika
by Bronze sister on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM
I didn't move. He let me stay a little longer. I asked him to let Me stay until March 1st but he didn't want to. I don't have where to go yet. A few places I applied wanted over 7k down.

So this Monday he came and shut my water off. I just got home and there's a letter saying he wants me to pay rent again. Before he refused rent.

Quoting BL2010:

Wow, I'd definitely file the complaint. What is his reason for shutting off the water?

Didn't you just move into this place not long ago?

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

In your town, you can also report him to the better business bureau. If the water is back on, just flie this knowledge in your memory. He does sound like a slumlord!

flika
by Bronze sister on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM
He doesn't know I had it turn on

Quoting Mariagma3:

In your town, you can also report him to the better business bureau. If the water is back on, just flie this knowledge in your memory. He does sound like a slumlord!

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Quoting flika: He doesn't know I had it turn on

Quoting Mariagma3:

I don't want to be bitchy, but the both of you need to somehow work this out. He can't just shut the water off because he wants to. Nor can/should you have it shut back on. You know that rules are made for reasons..WHAT is his reason?

flika
by Bronze sister on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM
I was hoping to be gone by now but he let me stayed a little longer even though I told him the 1st of March but now that date isn't strong any more. The new place wanted double deposit plus 3 months advanced. I had to pass. I'm waiting for a new one that's supposed to be coming today. I'm hoping they aren't too expensive.

The landlord here came Monday And disconnected something outside. I called the city and they left a notice outside saying no one cab tamper with the water or they have to pay a fine.

Quoting Mariagma3:

1. No landlord can just arbitrarily shut off the water. If it is shut off, the water co is the only one authorized to do so.

2. I thought you just moved? How much longer are you supposed to be there?  Good luck to you! I'm so sorry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN