Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Dear woman in the SUV,

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:16 AM
  • 38 Replies
  • 592 Total Views

While I am not saying anything about you smoking because truth be known its not my business that you are decreasing your life. But when you are puffing on that cigarette and your windows are rolled up and you have not one baby BUT three in the backseat and you and your passenger are puffing away I think me giving you a dirty look was neccessary.

Children are innocent and second hand smoke is more dangerous than them placing that cigarette in their own mouth. Better yet why not hand them one and allow them to smoke it because they are getting the same effect.

I will never tell anyone not to smoke or try to offend anyone BUT that child cant move away from the smoke and your responibibilty as a parent is to make sure the smoke dont reach them. 

If you really need to smoke, pull over and step out of your SUV or wait till you get home. BUT then again if you would smoke in your car with windows rolled up you will smoke in your home with your windows closed exposing the child there as well.

I am not out to offend anyone that smokes. I am sorry if you think I am but I have nodules on my right lung that we think is from second hand smoke. I also have asthma and I have never smoked. I am adult who knows what it feel like to have that deep cough that sounds like croup and having to breath deep for that breath. If I am an adult and its painful think how a child or even a baby feels.

Bash if you want but this is how I feel!

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:25 AM

I guess the rest is a mystery! LOL

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:33 AM

I pressed the enter button and it posted... LOL

Quoting Maida265:

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:41 AM

I am a victim of heavy smoking parents too Dana. This was one of the major contentions in our family. I would constantly ask (when I was old enough) for my parents to roll down a window. I can remember pulling my shirt/coat up around my face and body to try to keep the smoke away and was often slapped for making such a fuss. My father would sometimes crack his window...but my mother never would. She is a very self centered person and to this day doesn't feel as if smoking kills, because she is proof. If smoking was going to kill her, it would have by now. I don't know how I made it away unscathed by it all, but knock on wood I did (at least so far.) I'm not opposed to anyone smoking but because of being vitually trapped by it...it did make me not ever want to smoke or be near anyone who does.

On the flip side...my sister (who always wanted to follow in my mother's footsteps) did smoke. I can recall many fights between my mother and father because my mother would buy her cigarettes secretly. My sister passed away 2 1/2 years ago on my birthday from lung cancer.

secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:51 AM

This is illegal here and they do enforce this law....

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:52 AM

My parents smoked but they did roll down the window (not that it didnt help). My parents have been non smokers 20 years now and my mom has all kinds of health issues from the years of smoking including heart. My dad has COPD and is on O2 because he stops breathing. My grandma and three aunts on my (BIO) dads side of the family all died of lung cancer due to heavy smoking and a cousin that is a bit older than me has the same nodules on her lungs from the exposure.

Childhood exposure can lead to childhood illness. My hub smokes but outside away from my house (yes he can NOT smoke within 15 ft from my house) and he dont smoke in our car and he stays outside a few minutes to air his clothes out. Someone said that was cruel measures but he said that its respect for me and our child and grandchildren.

Quoting Maida265:

I am a victim of heavy smoking parents too Dana. This was one of the major contentions in our family. I would constantly ask (when I was old enough) for my parents to roll down a window. I can remember pulling my shirt/coat up around my face and body to try to keep the smoke away and was often slapped for making such a fuss. My father would sometimes crack his window...but my mother never would. She is a very self centered person and to this day doesn't feel as if smoking kills, because she is proof. If smoking was going to kill her, it would have by now. I don't know how I made it away unscathed by it all, but knock on wood I did (at least so far.) I'm not opposed to anyone smoking but because of being vitually trapped by it...it did make me not ever want to smoke or be near anyone who does.

On the flip side...my sister (who always wanted to follow in my mother's footsteps) did smoke. I can recall many fights between my mother and father because my mother would buy her cigarettes secretly. My sister passed away 2 1/2 years ago on my birthday from lung cancer.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:52 AM

I thought it was here as well..

Quoting secondcup5:

This is illegal here and they do enforce this law....

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:56 AM

They say they will fine you here if you are caught, but honestly...I still don't think people take it very seriously.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:57 AM

That was weird...all I saw was the title and nothing else! LOL

Quoting dana63:

I pressed the enter button and it posted... LOL

Quoting Maida265:

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:16 AM

This is something that really gets me and I see people do this all the time and then there kids are sick etc I am so furious overr my DIL doing just that then complaining that her kids are sick.

People do not take this seriously enough. IMO.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Feb. 21, 2014 at 6:21 AM

My child ENT dr ask me when she had her surgery if the mom smoked while pregnant and we said yes and he said it explains the ear infections, runny nose, allergies and yes the sore throats. (for those who dont know my 8 year old is my granddaughter who I have custody of).

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

This is something that really gets me and I see people do this all the time and then there kids are sick etc I am so furious overr my DIL doing just that then complaining that her kids are sick.

People do not take this seriously enough. IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)