Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Need advice...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 167 Total Views

I have a conf call with my supervisor about my response to an email that I replied too.  She said I had a bad attitude but I don't think that was the case.  I was simply relaying the message that this employee said to me (and her).  My supervisor took it upon herself to dismiss any of my concerns and now she wants to have a conference call about it.

I need advice on how to approach this call.  At first I was just going to YUP her to death but I don't think that would resolve anything.

Oh, I forgot to tell you...This supervisor was the one who started all of this.  I had the situtation under control until she stuck her nose in it and blew it up.

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BL2010
by BL on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM

What kind of job do you have? Is it possible to go in and meet with her face-to-face?

jett286
by BrewMisstress on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be calm, be honest and use "i" statements....  then follow up with an email and cc someone eles (if possible)...Also explain that you were just relaying information.  Email can be a difficult tool to communicate touchy info with because the READER puts in any inflection/tone they want even if the writer didn't mean it that way.  Maybe apologize for using email, and let her know you felt like she dismissed all of your concerns...  Try not to be defensive ,(I know that's a hard one!)

BL2010
by BL on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM

How long have you worked here? What about your supervisor?

Niccalyn
by Sister on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I suppose it depends on how important your job is to you?  If your top priority is keeping your job then I think you're probably going to have to be humble and cow-tow a little bit. Apologize if anything you said in your email was taken in a way it was not intended...you in no way intended to offend anyone.  That kind of thing.  If you do this it will all blow over in a heartbeat. 

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you sit and listen to what this person has to say. When she is done..you can then ask if you can comment on things (to clarify your stand on it...or to agree that it could have been mistaken how you wrote it (as often times written word is without tone and can easily be taken differently than intended.)

MethuenMom
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I was just in the office a few days ago.  That's how the pooh-storm got started.  I'll never go back there again!  LOL

Quoting BL2010:

What kind of job do you have? Is it possible to go in and meet with her face-to-face?

MethuenMom
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM

My words to her "I could have handled it a bit differently but in no way was I wrong".  She accepted that.  How do you approach someone who is inflexible with the stuff that YOU built from the ground up?  She wanted to do B but A is how we do things. 

My job is very important.  I've been working there for 15 years.  This person hasn't even been there 2 years and she's trying to tell me about change.  I wanted to say 'listen....I remember when we used to do this stuff on punch cards, I am the epitome of change when it comes to this stuff'.

But I didn't.  :)

Quoting Niccalyn:

I suppose it depends on how important your job is to you?  If your top priority is keeping your job then I think you're probably going to have to be humble and cow-tow a little bit. Apologize if anything you said in your email was taken in a way it was not intended...you in no way intended to offend anyone.  That kind of thing.  If you do this it will all blow over in a heartbeat. 

MethuenMom
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I listened.  The outcome was OK.  I told her straight up that if you want me to listen to you then my voice needs to be heard as well and that's not happening.

Quoting Maida265:

I think you sit and listen to what this person has to say. When she is done..you can then ask if you can comment on things (to clarify your stand on it...or to agree that it could have been mistaken how you wrote it (as often times written word is without tone and can easily be taken differently than intended.)

wenuck
by Moonshine on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Glad the outcome was good sorry I missed this. But the women had great advice!!! Way to go ladies =)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)