Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Home Decor at it's best!!! (I'm sentimental today.)

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM
  • 30 Replies
  • 612 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I have walked into some VERY nice...VERY clean and polished homes lately. I enter with a bit of hesitation not knowing if I should remove my footwear at the door or simply stand with my hands down at my sides as not to mess anything up. The homes are beautiful...and immaculate. I think to myself how life would be to live in such a place.

Then I recall how I left my own home. My refidgerator has last weeks progress reports from two of my kids...a picture made JUST FOR ME by another...and my son's last report card (something he was VERY proud of pinned to another area.) I can look from my kitchen into the dining area, where I have a small ledge/shelf. My children are always sticking things on that shelf. I can never keep it clear. Today's treasures are my dd's hearing aide batteries...a small fuzzy creature that my oldest made for me...my dh's weather station (gotta know if it's cold ya know) and the only thing I have placed there...a glass jar with some candy. The jar matches the colors of my dining room. I walk to the next room...and there is a bucket of snap beads that Gracie LOVES to play with and I like to keep them out so she can get at them. Also in my living room are little sand art vases that my daughter made for me. She insisted that seeing them out made the room "look happy" and not to disappoint her that I don't like a lot of clutter...I allowed her to place them around the house. *Note* She also put a couple in my bedroom...just to be sure I had "happy dreams."

The point of my post is this... My house is not dirty, but neither is it meticulously decorated unless you count the priceless projects my children have given to me to display in order to show me how much they love me. They are delicately painted projected...sculpted masterpieces...and pictures they have colored...drawn or traced. Nothing matches each other but somehow I can't imagine my home being decorated any other way.

The day that my home is without a specially drawn picture, or sculpture made out of a recycled soda bottle will be a sad day for me. A day where I don't have all these tidbits around me, will be a day that my family is no longer here with me.

What makes your house a home?

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BL2010
by BL on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}. Honey, my house is the same way. I have more stuff on my fridge, kitchen table, all around each room and it all has meaning to it. I couldn't stand a "sterile" feeling environment.

I call that a lived in home.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Y'all cone to my house. It is not dirty by any means. But far from immaculate. We have a very lived in house. We are cozy...
BL2010
by BL on Mar. 4, 2014 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, that's the best way to live.

Quoting ALolies: Y'all cone to my house. It is not dirty by any means. But far from immaculate. We have a very lived in house. We are cozy...

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM

A very wise woman told me once that a house should be clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy. I stand by that! LOL She was the mother to a profoundly disabled son. She told me once that she would never give up her messy house for a spotless one because it would mean that she couldn't use the things she worked so hard for in fear of messing them up.

I admit that I sometimes envy those with matching furniture...and home decor. You know the places I'm talking about I'm sure. Things are so neat and tidy and inviting for the most part but then you realize that it's more like a hotel room and there is nothing personal in it...or nothing that makes it YOUR home or your comfy place.

BL2010
by BL on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Smart woman.

Quoting Maida265:

A very wise woman told me once that a house should be clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy. I stand by that! LOL She was the mother to a profoundly disabled son. She told me once that she would never give up her messy house for a spotless one because it would mean that she couldn't use the things she worked so hard for in fear of messing them up.

I admit that I sometimes envy those with matching furniture...and home decor. You know the places I'm talking about I'm sure. Things are so neat and tidy and inviting for the most part but then you realize that it's more like a hotel room and there is nothing personal in it...or nothing that makes it YOUR home or your comfy place.

mrs.Emm1
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Sounds like you have a beautiful home!

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Thank you...I'm rather fond of it...lol.

Quoting mrs.Emm1:

Sounds like you have a beautiful home!

secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Vickey I have seen pics of your home and it is beautiful......my house is very clean and very QUIET!!!  I had my grandchildren all last week and I loved it, my fridge is decorated with pictures of those babies and Kenny's grandkids and I love seeing them there, I change them quite often and I love going into someone house that displays pictures on the fridge........house is full of love. 

MethuenMom
by Bronze sister on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM
7 moms liked this

My house is not a house, it's a home where people live in.  There is evidence of that all over the place.  From my food stained cookbooks to last nights blankets on the couch.  We live here and it's not a show place.  You will find a clean table to eat at if you don't mind this weeks art project next to you.  You will find a comfortable place to sit in the living room if you don't mind the cats jumping all over you for attention.  You will find lots of laughter and love if you don't mind being the butt of a joke every once in awhile.

A house is not a home until you make it one.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you Carol...I do love our old home and although I am a neat freak about some things...it is a constant battle to keep a neat home with 4 kids...2 clients and a husband all who are dependent on ME to keep it that way. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN