Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Are you one of the 75% that does this?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:31 AM
  • 54 Replies
  • 754 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Did you know that 75% of the parents who have younger children (even teenagers) can't sit 5 minutes without getting on a electronic device (this includes a cell phone). According to the news there was a study that shows that when a parent takes their child out to eat that the parent (and teenagers) are on their electronic devices and the younger child will start to misbehave because the parent is not paying attention to them. The study said you can look at a table with teenagers and see everyone texting or playing a game (on social site) and no conversation takes place at the table.

What haapen to the days that a family sits at the table and talk about their day and realy talk? Is this the thing of the past?

I never thought how many times I have walked in any store and seen individual on their cell phone. I do know that 3 out of 5 people that are on the roads driving are on their cell. I dont go into fast food places but we have a McDonalds in the Wal Mart and you can walk by and most are talking or texting.

Are you one of the 75% that can't step away from your electronic device for an hour or while out eating with the kids (or anyone)?

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lori942
by UMMMMM....... on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM

I am proud to say I am not in the 75%.  My kids (both teens) are pretty good at staying off their phones when we eat dinner. 

maryg38
by Sweet Mary <3 on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I am proud to say I am not in the 75%.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM

I can say I am NOT part of the 75% and get on my phone and text/chat or even check on FB during a meal and when my family is together other than my camera. I do however check my phone for the time.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Ugh Nah Thats tacky no phones at the table here at our home!! It can wait til family time is over =)

secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I probabably am in the 75%, we would never not answer our phones no matter what we were doing!

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Our kids a grown, but no, I'm not. When we go out to eat or have the kids over for dinner, we do not use cell phones at the table. We have conversations. The only time a phone is brought out is to show something we are discussing at that moment. No texting or gaming allowed at the table.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:20 AM
I am not. Mine didn't get phones till 14 and 16. I don't answer my phone sometime and also don't bring I some. People are way too plugged in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brooklynchic151
by Staten Island Psycho on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM

i see it all the time  especially teens.. thats all they know... for me  i dont do that .. especially when im at the mall shopping.. i dont want to be bothered with any phone calls  unless its my kids or their school.....

charlotsomtimes
by Sister on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Not us. We have never had cell phones out at the table, or while driving.  My 20 yr old gets REALLY irritated with her friends when they take out a cell while driving- she will take it away from them. I will admit to being on the computer a lot of the time at home though

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Not! I'm usually on the phone, watching tv, or something else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)