Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Spring gardening - What do you do?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM
  • 31 Replies
  • 417 Total Views

I've cleaned flower beds, dead headed everything I missed from last year and am thinking about planting bulbs that come up in the summer. I really like organic gardening and have found my flowers really respond well to used coffee grounds, egg shells and cut up banana peels.

Do you have any special tips that you've had success with or wonder if something you've heard about works?

Also what will you be planting?

by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I haven't started any of that as the weather doesn't stay warm long enough to get out there.

I use vinegar and salt and some dish soap in my spray bottle for weeds along the drive way. I also compost in the garden.

This yr though I only doing green beans, corn, cucs and 2 tomato plants in the veggie garden.

I have to go order a load of river rock for a few of my flower beds.

I also am a big fan of Preen.

brooklynchic151
by Staten Island Psycho on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

i love to plant my herbs.. basil,parsley and of course tomatoes

RoseWall
by RoseWall on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM
I just cleaned up the pottef plants i have on the patio.
BL2010
by BL on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

This year I'm hoping to have tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. Need to start them indoors pretty soon. Waiting for some of the snow to start melting. lol

flowrsgalore
by Silver sister on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

asiatic & oriental lillies are about the only bulbs I can think of to plant in the spring & get a summer bloom that first year.  Oh wait- those elephant ear bulbs too (big showy leafs), glads too. yeah I guess there are some bulbs that you can do this with. I just tend to think of bulbs as a fall thing.  I like to add a bit of bone meal/compost in with the refill dirt that goes back in with my new plants.  Also dig a nice good size hole for the new baby, don't dig a $2 hole for a $20 plant. And tease the roots out that were at the very bottom of the pot, so that they are ready to expand out in their new home.  oh god lord so far off from doing any gardening.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Well hopefully after this snow comes through again tomorrow hubby and I can start out garden. We will be doing potatoes, corn,tomatoes, carrots,onions,broccoli.
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

I haven't started any of that as the weather doesn't stay warm long enough to get out there.

This tip is very helpful for me. Thanks! blowing kisses

I use vinegar and salt and some dish soap in my spray bottle for weeds along the drive way. I also compost in the garden.

This yr though I only doing green beans, corn, cucs and 2 tomato plants in the veggie garden.

I have to go order a load of river rock for a few of my flower beds.

I also am a big fan of Preen.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Do potatoes take much space?

Quoting wenuck: Well hopefully after this snow comes through again tomorrow hubby and I can start out garden. We will be doing potatoes, corn,tomatoes, carrots,onions,broccoli.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think so. In our garden hubby puts them in one row and at the ends. He is the one who plants and I'm the weeder lol! I can ask him for you.

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

Do potatoes take much space?

Quoting wenuck: Well hopefully after this snow comes through again tomorrow hubby and I can start out garden. We will be doing potatoes, corn,tomatoes, carrots,onions,broccoli.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I dig up gladiolas in the fall and keep them in a dry place for winter and then replant in spring. I remember doing that with my grandma. I've had great luck with them every year, except the year I left them in the ground. I also like staggering planting time so that I have new flowers every week.

Quoting flowrsgalore:

asiatic & oriental lillies are about the only bulbs I can think of to plant in the spring & get a summer bloom that first year.  Oh wait- those elephant ear bulbs too (big showy leafs), glads too. yeah I guess there are some bulbs that you can do this with. I just tend to think of bulbs as a fall thing.  I like to add a bit of bone meal/compost in with the refill dirt that goes back in with my new plants.  Also dig a nice good size hole for the new baby, don't dig a $2 hole for a $20 plant. And tease the roots out that were at the very bottom of the pot, so that they are ready to expand out in their new home.  oh god lord so far off from doing any gardening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)