Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I didn't want to be a baby about it but what were they thinking.....

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:04 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 357 Total Views

My sisters and I got together on Saturday for a get together to meet my older sisters new boyfriend.  We had our husbands there and a few friends.  We made appetizers and we had cocktails.  We were listening to music, gabbing about silly stuff and just had a ball.

About 9:30 they started breaking out their phones.  Ugh, I hate that.  So the ones that didn't go on their phones kept up the conversation.  Someone mentioned that they had a flashlight on their phone.  My twin said she did too and then proceeded to flash it right in my eyes. 

I have photophobia (not a fear of light but a severe light sensitivity to direct light in my eyes).  I covered my eyes right away.  She laughed and I told her to put it away.  My older sisters new boyfriend not knowing any better decided to one up her and just inches from my face decided to show me his strobe light.

This made my eyes instantly tear up.  I asked my DH to get me some tissues.  One of the friends ask me if I was crying.  I said no, my eyes tear up because of the light. This is the reason why I can't drive at night. They've known for over a decade that I have this condition but still looked confused. I went outside and said to DH that we needed to go because a migraine was going to happen soon.  I smiled and gave everyone hugs and kisses and thanked them for a great night. Inside I was dying! Of course, I was up all night.

My sister called me the next morning and I had a migraine (still do but I have to work and life goes on).  She said, hey, you shouldn't of had any cocktails.  I said yes, I guess so but I think it was more the lights in the eyes. She just blew it off.  I should let it go as well but I know she's going to call me today.  I don't want to bring it up again but I want to make sure that it won't happen anymore.

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmlmomma
by Momma's new BFF on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

from where I'm sitting I think they don't understand the condition. My sister has an illness that is very rare and a lot people just don't understand what it can do to her if not kept under control...Not even her twin..I'm always shocked when I talk to him because he is like "What? What the big deal?" when in reality she could die from this if the medication quit working.

AFTER your not so upset talk to them all about it. They just don't understand even if you've talked about it before..I swear some people are just clueless about stuff like this..

I also have a brother who made me very angry when our mom was sick with BRAIN cancer...his comment..."What? she ONLY lost a little eye sight from the surgery, so she understands what I'm saying"? She DID NOT understand anything he was saying to her and he was upsetting her and wouldn't stop...they were fighting over a car HE felt she should just give him.... She passed away 2 months later... I've not forgiving him...I don't know how...Then this past Thursday his daughter who weighed 350lbs had gastric by pass done. He text that night to say it went well...the next morning I had my husband ask how she was doing...his words again "WHAT I TOLD JANINE YESTERDAY THAT SHE DID WELL?"  He's such an idiot! anyway...we just replied..yes but that was yesterday. How is she today!....

some people just don't get it.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Hugs!

Hope you feel better that sucks!

momofsixangels
by Gold sister on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I would be mad. Hope your headache goes away

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:56 AM

That was really unkind and I am sensitive to light being shined in my eyes too. It might be worth mentioning so that it doesn't happen again. They should have known better than to do that to anyone, as it was rude!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sensitive to light as well and it makes it to where I can't drive at night because the lights getting in my eyes and blinding me. YOur twin should have known better and in my opinion it was wrong and very rude.  I hope you are feeling better.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM

On the contrary...you are not being a baby. I think you DO need to bring it up again. Tell her that you don't want to make a huge deal of it, but felt you needed to remind her that this condition is REAL and the pain it causes you. You don't have to make it sound like a complaint, but rather a reminder.  In MY opinion...they were the ones being childish (flashing lights in your eyes and joking about it. Honestly...)  

Snowl
by Snowl :) on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:01 PM

hugs

MethuenMom
by Bronze sister on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this

So, right on cue she called. I did talk to her about it. First we talked about how much fun we had.  Which we did.  I love spending time with my sisters!  Especially my twin.  Even though we talk everyday and she only lives the next town over (literally a few streets over) when we get together it's like we haven't seen or talked in years.

Then I mentioned the flashlight.  I said 'I can not believe you did that'.  She said 'Honestly, I wasn't even thinking'.  My reply 'Get out, you, not think?'  I then said 'That strobe light killed me'.  She said 'I never saw (DH) jump up so quickly'.  Ok, that made us both laugh. DH is a turtle when it comes to movement.

Then we talked about my older sister and her mood and how the others didn't get it.  After I left the other people left shortly afterwards.  I asked if I killed the party and she said no, it was getting late anyways. 

Reality check: You know you're old when it's 10:00 PM on a Saturday night and a party is dying down because it's late!

The next morning before DH handed the phone to me I guess he mentioned something to her.  Maybe that is why she didn't want to talk to me about it.  DH doesn't say anything to anyone so for him to say something, to twin of all people, he must have gotten my point across better than I ever could.

All is right with the world.  I can't stay mad at my little goober anyways.  She'll know it and keep calling and calling and calling!  LOL

Thanks for listening ladies...This would have been bothering me all day.  I don't think I would have brought it up otherwise.  HUGS

1kidmomajm
by Kristy on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Im glad things worked out. You have a good dh.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Well good for you! I'm happy you were able to talk about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)