Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Should teachers be friends?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM
  • 36 Replies
  • 471 Total Views

Should teachers be friends with their students?
No bashing. We are all entitled to our opinion.
I'd like to hear your viewpoints on this.

If you are a teacher, are you FB friends with your students?
Why or why not? 

CHARLESTOWN, N.H. – A 79-year-old substitute teacher quit her job after school leaders ordered her to delete thousands of students she had friended on Facebook.

Carol Thebarge refused, according to The New Hampshire Union Leader.

“Today will be my last day at Stevens High,” Thebarge said, in a Facebook announcement. “I was given an ultimatum; to either delete every student from my Facebook page and do not post pictures of them, or be terminated.”

Thebarge has been a substitute teacher for the past 35 years, working at 32 different schools.

Thebarge said school officials gave her the ultimatum after a math teacher was recently charged with sexual assault on a 14-year-old girl in his classroom.

She said she started deleting students, but stopped after about 50 when she had students start asking her what they did wrong. Thebarge said some students have seen her Facebook page as a place where they can send private messages about being bullied or feeling depressed.

School Superintendent Middleton McGoodwin said that Claremont School Board policy bans teachers from being “friends” with students on social networking sites such as Facebook.

http://whnt.com/2014/04/07/teacher-79-quits-job-after-school-officials-say-she-cant-be-friends-with-students-on-facebook/

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Group Admin on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Tough one If I hadn't read about this woman I would have said No students and teachers should not be friends. I think when they do it becomes to easy to cross lines that should not be crossed. In this lady's case I don't see the harm. IF the handbook or schools have written statement saying If you friend students then you will be fired they have to follow through.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I agree that this lady probably would never cross any line. But at the same time, there has to be a steadfast rule and sweet 79yo ladies can't really be the exception. I feel bad for her, but rules are rules...

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Tough one If I hadn't read about this woman I would have said No students and teachers should not be friends. I think when they do it becomes to easy to cross lines that should not be crossed. In this lady's case I don't see the harm. IF the handbook or schools have written statement saying If you friend students then you will be fired they have to follow through.

MamaLauri
by Sister on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Facebook is anything but private. So I would not encourage teachers to "Facebook friend" students.

The teacher took her free time to provide a very valuable service the school should be providing. The school should have found another way for her to do it.

LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

No. There needs to be a separation otherwise things could get tricky and awkward. Then job is compromised because kids try to get away with more, etc cuz you're buddies.

zoo003
by Sister on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I do not think that students and teachers should be facebook friends.  To me, when this occurs, it can really start blurring the lines between the student/teacher relationship and can open the door for inappropriate behaviors.  In the schools that my kids attend, teachers are not allowed to be friends with students on Facebook.  I am perfectly OK with this rule/policy.    

Edit-I am not saying that this 79 year old woman was doing anything wrong or inappropriate on her Facebook, but if they allowed it for her, then they would have to allow it for every teacher. 

wenuck
by Moonshine on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

No I dont think, there should be a line!

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

They can be friendly. But, much more than that, and it is crossing that line!

ashleighmama
by Ash on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think they should be friends, on FB or real life. Having said that, though, I think there are certain instances that a teacher should act like a friend and be there for the student, in cases like where a troubled kid seeks out his/her teacher to talk to say, about abuse at home, or being raped, or something like that. But in that case, the teacher needs to take the appropriate steps to help the kid to get help, not take on the whole problem, and keep it a secret. Does that make sense?

BoopBettyBoop
by Sister on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is friends with one of her teachers from 6th grade, she is in 7th this year and I have seen nothing but positive influence from their friendship.  This was her favorite teacher last year and she has been encouraging to Brooklynne (dd) when she has been sad about missing her old school or her old teachers.  She has been and continues to be a very positive role model for Brooklynne and I know that my daughter would be crushed if she were to delete her and tell her she couldn't be her friend Facebook any longer.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I agre with this totally. The school system can not pick and choose who the rules apply to...

Quoting zoo003:

Edit-I do not saying that this 79 year old woman was doing anything wrong or inappropriate on her Facebook, but if they allowed it for her, then they would have to allow it for every teacher. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN