Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

HIV awareness.....

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM
  • 48 Replies
  • 800 Total Views
3 moms liked this

I went to a class today and it was rather interesting. Back in 1988 we would hear about AIDS and HIV all the time. WE would hear having many sex partners and unprotected sex could put each one at risk. No one would say they had HIV and no it isnt just for those that are gay BUT anyone who is infected. YOu can become infected by sharing a dirty needle, body fluids such as (as the instructor put it) boy/girl juices if one is positive with the virus.

I am going to say it just like the instructor.

All woman like for Miss Kitty to be walked and even want to "fed" her. BUT what they don't do is protect themselves. There is a female condom and it should be used. What was said that Miss Kitty should be protected and if your partner loves you then one day they will use the condom and the next time the female will. Never use the condom twice because of the bacteria.

Protect yourself sisters and DO NOT allow the guy (or girl) to say they will have the protection when in fact you should bring your own.

Oh the reason for this is because when the subject comes up most will walk away. They dont want to talk about it and they dont educate their children either. HIV is on a uprise and it is a silent killer that some dont want to think about.

The instructor said he had a patient come in and he said he had flu like symptoms but didnt know what was wrong. He ran blood testing and found he had HIV. The man was a recovering drug addict, clean for years, married and because no one thinks about HIV/AIDS anymore they didnt think to test him when he felt sick.

I told the instructor I was going to share with you all and he was thrilled because he said only our voices will spread the word again and get awareness out.

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

We support HIV/AIDS awareness whenever possible. It is out there, and you are right. People don't want to talk about it. Thanks for the post!!!

BL2010
by Just Me on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Great info. People really need to be better educated, if they'd just open up their minds. HIV/AIDS isn't just a gay problem. You can also get it from a blood transfusion.

LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

It was like a fad...talked about and pounded into you til you wanted to scream then they stopped. As if it was a clothing style that wasn't cool anymore. 

Was dumb to just stop talking about it. Just cuz it doesn't need to be forced down throats doesn't mean the talk should stop.

It's still out there and there are still people who forget that or get lazy about protection.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

What is sad we had 53 views and 3 replies.. Yes this is a serious because now 1 out of 5 people have HIV and dont know it. We stop the education because people rather not talk about it.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I noticed earlier that there was 22 views and obky three replies. Shy does no one want to talk about this serious issue?

Quoting dana63:

What is sad we had 53 views and 3 replies.. Yes this is a serious because now 1 out of 5 people have HIV and dont know it. We stop the education because people rather not talk about it.

hot_mamalizzy
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Good information to be sharing! It is sad that this kind of topic isn't talk about much. When I use to work at the inner city clinic. I made it a point to try educate people on HIV/AIDS. Gave out info, answered questions if they had any. It is a very serious matter and it don't just "not" happen or can't happen because most choose to avoid talking with their children or believe nothing can't happen as that just from one careless night, one time of sharing a needle or any or naive way of thinking.
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sad that we know it is there BUT no one want to talk about it. My instructor said he would ask people if they want to talk about it and he said 1 out of 10 would talk about it. He said he also tested them for free and they would tel him they knew they were clean. One girl said "I am clean" and he said "let me test you" and he did and she was positive. He said his determination saved her life.

I agree some thinks it won't happen because they feel they are safe.. OK maybe from HIV/AIDS but what about a STD? My instructor said he walked around like a cock in the rooster pen thinking nothing would happen to him and he said he had a one night stand with a girl he knew and two pills later he knew to protect because she had a STD that she didnt know about.

Quoting hot_mamalizzy: Good information to be sharing! It is sad that this kind of topic isn't talk about much. When I use to work at the inner city clinic. I made it a point to try educate people on HIV/AIDS. Gave out info, answered questions if they had any. It is a very serious matter and it don't just "not" happen or can't happen because most choose to avoid talking with their children or believe nothing can't happen as that just from one careless night, one time of sharing a needle or any or naive way of thinking.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

WE will keep this post flowing and maybe we will get through to one sister in Caemom Land.. We will ask questions or just bump it. Awareness, awareness, awareness....

Quoting ALolies:

I noticed earlier that there was 22 views and obky three replies. Shy does no one want to talk about this serious issue?

Quoting dana63:

wenuck
by Moonshine on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Great post! Great info
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I think a common question people have is, can a person get HIV/AIDS from something like sitting on a toilet after someone who is positive?

Quoting hot_mamalizzy: Good information to be sharing! It is sad that this kind of topic isn't talk about much. When I use to work at the inner city clinic. I made it a point to try educate people on HIV/AIDS. Gave out info, answered questions if they had any. It is a very serious matter and it don't just "not" happen or can't happen because most choose to avoid talking with their children or believe nothing can't happen as that just from one careless night, one time of sharing a needle or any or naive way of thinking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)