Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

A wedding question for everyone who's planned/planning a wedding

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:07 PM
  • 34 Replies
  • 638 Total Views

DD is getting married in July. We live 45 minutes from my hometown where my Mom & a couple brothers live, also live 1 1/2 hrs from Omaha where my other brother lives & where all my sisters will all be flying into then coming here for the wedding. The wedding is at 3:00 Saturday. DD's MIL to be is only allowing the wedding party & direct family [no grandparents, etc] for the rehearsal. The hotels we booked rooms at is either directly across the street from the reception hall [& 3 blocks from DD & fiance's house] or 2 blocks away.

My SILs were wondering EXACTLY what we have planned for the weekend. I told them either the night before [depending on what, if anything, is going on at the reception hall] we'll try to decorate the hall, the wedding is at 3:00, then the reception is around 5/5:30 then the next morning anyone who wants to come to the new couple's house to watch them open gifts & have brunch & hang out is welcome to & that's it.

"That's it? Nothing else?" I told them there are 3 bars close by the hotels if anyone wants to go out on their own or we may have our house clean & ready if anyone wants to hang out there, the one hotel has a really nice pool area for the kids.  They're all very familiar with the town we live in. We don't go to too many weddings especially out of town ones but DH & I went to his nephew's last summer 5 hrs away & we got there a couple hours before the wedding & drove around the town, had lunch, then did the wedding & reception thing & the next day the couple opened gifts at the hotel which we attended then we headed home.

ARE WE SUPPOSED TO PROVIDE ENTERTAINMENT ALL WEEKEND FOR THEM? A Couple of my sisters & their familiies will probably drive back to our home town for a few days to hang out more with my Mom, etc but what am I supposed to be planning for them?  confused

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saphira1207
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see any reason for you or your daughter to provide non-stop entertainment to grown adults once the wedding stuff is out of the way.  A list of available entertainment in the area seems suficient to me.

shrugging

nebcutie
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Sorry not part of this group but it popped up on my news feed and I see you are planning in Nebraska or close too...anyways I would just make up cards of things they can do and places to eat for them to waste the extra time. Sounds like you might not get to decorate tell the morning of so you can't really plan anything there just in case.
Mz.Mya
by New sister on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM
4 moms liked this
I totally agree with the others. I am a wedding Coordinator for my coworker's wedding in October. I told her I will make a list of local attractions and simple directions, but that is as far as I am willing to go. They all have GPS on their phones, let them use it and entertain themselves. Hope this helps.
HippyMomma45
by Bronze sister on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Where in Nebraska are you from? We're Columbus. 

Quoting nebcutie: Sorry not part of this group but it popped up on my news feed and I see you are planning in Nebraska or close too...anyways I would just make up cards of things they can do and places to eat for them to waste the extra time. Sounds like you might not get to decorate tell the morning of so you can't really plan anything there just in case.

HippyMomma45
by Bronze sister on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I guess I could understand if we were doing a destination weddng we'd have activities planned but not for this. I'm thinking we'll probably be rushing around the night before getting last minute things done, HOPEFULLY, having some time to visit then the same the next day & Sunday just relaxing..... 

If I knew my SILs would like to actually help [they won't since they're all very stuck up & only coming for the socialization & for the partying with each other] I'd have a list of things we could use help on. 

nebcutie
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I am just west of Kearney. Well at least you have something to work with there on things to do. As it gets close i would add any events going on and places to shop. Then see if the hotel will give them to your guests as they check in. Also put a few contact numbers in case they have questions or need anything.

Quoting HippyMomma45:

Where in Nebraska are you from? We're Columbus. 

Quoting nebcutie: Sorry not part of this group but it popped up on my news feed and I see you are planning in Nebraska or close too...anyways I would just make up cards of things they can do and places to eat for them to waste the extra time. Sounds like you might not get to decorate tell the morning of so you can't really plan anything there just in case.

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:30 PM

No, just plan the wedding rehearsal as is. That is really all you are expected to do, besides the normal MOB/MOG stuff. I was MOG last July. I helped out in several areas. But, entertainment wise, people are on their own. It's fun, but kind of taxing, LOL! :)

kaarina
by Boston Strong on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
When my DD got married, we rented a suite at the hotel and had an after party after the reception. That's customary around here. Drinks and picky foods like chicken wings and finger sandwiches is what we served.
starlight1968
by 40ish hang out queen on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I would maybe make a schedule of what you are doing (set up/wedding-times etc.) so that if they want to 'pop in' and help they can, they will also know when you are unavailable too ;)

Also like the others said maybe make a list of places nearby to eat, shop, and any interests they may have...

Momofmenagerie
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
No. Just the wedding and reception are your job. Even in an out of town wedding, you are not responsible for all entertainment , you invited them to celebrate your marriage with you .

If they accepted, down time is just that...down time
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)