Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Should alcoholics be paid in beer?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 236 Total Views

I guess you all seen The Today Show where they said Amsterdam is getting alcoholics off the streets and paying them to clean the streets. The pay is 5 beers (two in the morning, one for lunch, two for after work), lunch, Cigs, and $13.

Should alcoholics be paid in beer? Is this sending a message that it is ok to drink and have this illness and that the country will support it?

Your thoughts?

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I know a alcoholic who he rather be paid in beer and most the time he is. Mike will work from sun up until sun down and he functions well when he is drinking. I would get very upset when people would have him do hard labor and pay him in a 12-pack, lunch and dinner and he thought he got a million dollars with that 12- pack.

I dont think it is acceptable to encourage the illness but try to help them.

BL2010
by BL on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Wow, I hadn't heard this. I don't think that's right but after reading the story I'll have to think more on it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-25548061

gracef282
by Kiwi Maid on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Thats terrible encouraging alcoholics to do community work, then pay them with booze. Money is better spent on rehabilitating these people and getting professional help for them. Wow i bet someones losing out on their hard earned cash and getting penalised for it. Oh well hope it works for everyone involved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valkay
by faithful sister on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this
I have mixed feelings. One it is enabling them . The other if they out there anyway it stops them from pan handling . Face it if they were paid in money they would just use it for beer and smokes
AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:06 AM
I think it is wrong and keeps them dependent. Giving them work and not paying in cash takes away their dignity of choice to do something different. I suppose some would go into withdrawal from lack of alcohol and could die and it is good to keep them alive but somehow this idea seems crazy.
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I see both sides of what you  are saying. On one hand if they are working and getting paid in beer then it will keep them from asking for money. I get that and that is a great point. One the other hand they are enabling them and keeping them dependent on the booze. BUT they are working at least 8 hours a day and they get a meal. I guess that the plus side but at the same time we keep putting the booze in them and creating health issues.

baconbits
by Bronze sister on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this

A person who is an alcoholic will always be one. They are the ones who have to make a change. We can take them off the streets, clean them up, feed them, etc but unless they want to change it won't do any good.

It usually starts when they realize they are worth something. Perhaps paying them to clean the streets may give them a sense of worth. To see that they are accomplishing something as simple as cleaning a street even if pay is in beer and the rest. They are at least also getting one decent meal a day which gives time for someone to talk to them about their life.

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:01 PM

My father was a functional alcoholic.  He worked but the first thing he went out and bought with his pay check was whiskey and beer.  As a result, my brothers and I are not big drinkers.  I don't know what they will accomplish with the guy with the children and ex wives.  I don't think it is a good idea to support someones addiction.

akitchen173
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM

no

dingysfamily
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:24 PM

My thought:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN