Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Obsessions (Debate)

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 399 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I was talking to several friends and we were talking about these woman who name their babies after their favorite character from  books/movies/TV shows. Some have gone as far as naming their blessing after their favorite celebrity as well.

Personally I would never name my child after my crush but would name them after my family member.

When someone names a child(ren) after their passion (hobby), character, or crush would you consider this an obsession? What happens when that "obsession" is no longer an obsession and you have your child(ren) to remind you when you say their name?

Your thoughts on this?

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wenuck
by Moonshine on May. 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I named my 2 oldest off of Charaters but I didnt have crushes on them I liked the name and my youngest is a singer and I like her name too. Would I call it obession maybe because some people do it and I see nothing wrong with it. =)

tristansmom74
by Bronze sister on May. 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM
I named mine after a favorite book character. But lota of people thought he was named after brad pits character in legends of the fall. I hated that movie/character though. I forget... Like its not a daily thought.. Of why i picked his name. But in book character dress up day he asked if i would help him dress up as his name sake. Loved that. He dressed up as a 1940's british veterinarian. Wellingtons, british hat and all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 4, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I didnt name my children after any favorite character but after several of mine and hubs family members. But I did name my fur chihuahua after the Gremlin movie (his name is Gizmo). I have never seen the movie but my kids kept saying he looked like a Gizmo. LOL

LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on May. 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

It may be an obsession but I'd base that on other aspects of their life.

If they have objects from the books/movies, etc or posters and memorabilia, etc then ya....obsessed.

If they like the book/movie and a character name was one that they liked and used...Not obsessed just liked the name.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you!

Personally I will read a book and say "Oh I love that name!" and its replaced when I read the next book. LOL I dont think I could have that many children.. LOL

My son middle name is Shawn and I was ask if he was named after Shaun Cassidy who I was going to marry when I was a teenager (like most) and I never thought about it when I named him. LOL

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

It may be an obsession but I'd base that on other aspects of their life.

If they have objects from the books/movies, etc or posters and memorabilia, etc then ya....obsessed.

If they like the book/movie and a character name was one that they liked and used...Not obsessed just liked the name.

jazzgirl205
by Sister on May. 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM

In my family, we name children after saints and people we think of very highly (such as family members).  I guess the reasoning is to emphasize the desired traits.  I would consider naming a boy Atticus (from To Kill A Mockingbird) because that character embodies everything I would want my son to be.

About 25 yrs ago, I knew a lot of people who named their children after celebrities and soap opera characters.  IMO it's kind of cheap and shallow.  Besides, the name becomes dated pretty quickly.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 4, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh dont get me started on the ones who name their kids after a soap character.. I knew someone who named her twins Luke and Laura from General Hospital.

Quoting jazzgirl205:

In my family, we name children after saints and people we think of very highly (such as family members).  I guess the reasoning is to emphasize the desired traits.  I would consider naming a boy Atticus (from To Kill A Mockingbird) because that character embodies everything I would want my son to be.

About 25 yrs ago, I knew a lot of people who named their children after celebrities and soap opera characters.  IMO it's kind of cheap and shallow.  Besides, the name becomes dated pretty quickly.

akitchen173
by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:38 AM

I have never done this.

kaarina
by Boston Strong on May. 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM

My grandmother named my mother after her favorite character on a radio show in 1944. LOL! My mother always laughed about it. My grandmother wasn't obsessed with the show, she said she just loved that name.

My oldest is named after DH, my DD is named after my favorite baby doll ( remember I was only 16 when I was pregnant with her) , and my youngest is named after no one in particular. I just liked the name.

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on May. 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM

It could very well be an obsession with some people.

I didn't do that even though when Rocky was out people thought I named my son after that character I did not and his name is Rockey with an E.

How his name came about was that when my ex's dad was in the service he already had a son named Ricky and thought it would be cool to have a Rocky but he was in the service and so he got named Michael since his Mom was the only one there.

I can say it might be an obsession although I don't think about it too much I named his middle name after Elvis so he is Rockey Aaron.

I ended all of my kids names in a Y.

I have named middle names after family but that's it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)