Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 475 Total Views
1 mom liked this

So here's my conundrum: 

My work is offering to pay for my certified test.  Which is great!  The test is like 300 bucks...Woo-hoo! 

The bad part is the test is in 3 weeks.  It's a wicked hard test.

The really bad part is that they've been slamming me with projects. 

The really really bad part is that I go in for a hysterectomy in 5 weeks.  Hence the reason why they're slamming me with projects now.

It's not a mandatory certification.  It's not going to give me a raise.  It's not going to give me a bigger job title.  It's not going to enhance me one bit.  But, I've always wanted to be certified since 2007.

I just don't think I can do it.  I've already grown a huge set of testes and asked my supervisor to push the test out until after my surgery and recovery (I know some set of balls huh!) and I'm waiting for the NO email back.  LOL

If they say No, what would you do?

by on May. 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Suzi Q on May. 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM

i wouldnt fight it,only because it really isent doing much for you anyway right now.. you seem to have enough on your plate at this time..  can you take it after your surgery and be more prepared for the test...or is this a now or never type of gig...

by on May. 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM

 Can you retake the test if you don't pass?


"Be yourself. The world worships the original."---Ingrid Bergman

by Hillarie on May. 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I'd not bother taking the test. The stress your already under for extra projects and hysterectomy and healing....Not conducive to good studying.

So, I'd focus on the projects and healing and do the certification the next go round.

by on May. 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM

hopefully they will let you push it out knowing your having surgury soon


by on May. 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM

 I'm curious why you think they wouldn't approve pushing the test out? What reasoning would even make sense? It sounds like you have enough to worry about with the stress of taking this test so hopefully it will also be an option down the road once things settle.

by Red Room Rebel on May. 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Can you retake it if you don't pass? If so, I'd take it one chance of passing it the first time.
If not, I would probably wait til everything is back to normal. 
Good luck. 

by Sister on May. 14, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Certifications are generally a good thing to have.  I would not assume it 'isn't doing anything for you' in the future.  I have always found that when trying to get a new job or trying to get a promotion, what certs you have is very, very important.   Since you never know when you'll be looking for a new job, never ever assume your current situation is how things  are always going to be.   Grab just about ANY certs or training your company offers.

I'd recommend that you ask for a postponement based on your impending surgery and increased work duties.   I'd also recommend that if you get any time off after your hysterectomy that you spend ALL of it studying like mad for the certification.

by BL on May. 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Hmmm, what kind of certification is it?

by Carla - Survivor on May. 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Is this test something they do each year? In case it is, and you get the "no" responce.....wait it out until then when you will probable have less going on.

by Bronze sister on May. 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM

 No, the test cannot be retaken if failed.  They do not do this every year. 

The certification is the ISTQB(International Software Testing Qualifications Board).  It's the equivalent of the Medical Boards for Software geeks. 

Gawd, I suck at persuasion.  It went from the beginning of June to the end of May!

My problem is I hate failing.  This would be publicly failing.  Everyone at work would know I failed the test.  There is a chance I could pass it.  Sure, albeit extremely slim, but a chance nonetheless.  Am I willing to risk it?  Would you?  AHHHHHHH!!!!!  I'm going to give myself a migraine!!  LMAO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN