Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Are they taken it too far? Debate question 5/15

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 7:02 AM
  • 34 Replies
  • 724 Total Views

Over the weekend they had a NFL draft. The Ram took the first open gay man Michael Sam. Now I am happy that they looked at his talent and not his sexuality. BUT now Oprah wants to do a show on his life and they are saying that his Jersey is top seller and VISA is wanting him to do a commercial.

Are they taken this too far? Shouldn't this young player focus on Spring training and making sure his talent is not "spoiled" by all this attention?

I have seen so many talent players get this much recognition and they got their chance to show the fans what they could do and failed. Ricky Williams comes to mind, he was endorsed as the best player and he got a big head went out and couldn't do as they all thought. Now dont get me wrong he played 11 seasons but as a hush hush player.

YOur thoughts?

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

by on May. 15, 2014 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver sister on May. 15, 2014 at 7:22 AM
8 moms liked this

I seriously don't get the need to "come out" Its old and overused. I didn't need to come out that I am heterosexual. Why didn't the media go nuts over Alejendro Villanueva ? He Was picked up by the Eagles. He is a West Point grad. Former Army Ranger who earned a Bronze Medal. Did 3 tours in Afghanistan. He is Story to talk about . So yes I think the media has gone too far. When a man kissing a man gets more press than  a true hero its another example of how skewed our world is.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on May. 15, 2014 at 7:24 AM

I think if they were promoting his TALENT and that this didn't come second to his sexuality (and most likely the reason for any of this to be news worthy) then there wouldn't be a problem. Exploiting anyone for any reason should not be allowed and in my opinion that is what this is...exploiting him due to his sexuality. I'm not disgarding his talent, but it seems this is coming in as an after thought.

cybcm
by Cybele on May. 15, 2014 at 7:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I think he is being exploited.

I do feel frustrated when people say "Why do people need to come out?" though. We're not that far advanced in society yet where people act like homosexuality is a normal occurance, people are still asses about it. The very fact that everyone is jumping up and down because a gay man plays sports illustrates that point perfectly.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on May. 15, 2014 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I think the focus should be placed on his talent. I am glad he was not shunned based on his preference, but why is that the focus of his draft?

LadyAmaranth
by Amaranth on May. 15, 2014 at 7:48 AM
3 moms liked this

His sexuality is noones business but his. They're just using it for publicity. 

I think it's stupid frankly.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on May. 15, 2014 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel that those who don't understand the need to "come out" are just that accepting of homosexuality or feel that sexual preference is a personal matter. I understand both sides as I have a gay cousin that has had many trials in his life, but I also don't understand things such as this situation where the players sexual prefrence is more prevalent than his playing skills.

Quoting cybcm:

I think he is being exploited.I do feel frustrated when people say "Why do people need to come out?" though. We're not that far advanced in society yet where people act like homosexuality is a normal occurance, people are still asses about it. The very fact that everyone is jumping up and down because a gay man plays sports illustrates that point perfectly.

Glitter Text Generator

wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on May. 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM
I say focus on the players talent not sexuality. Can he play ?Should be the question. Not is he gay?
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on May. 15, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I agree and I think that they should focus on his talent and not his sexuality. I also think if they are not looking at our hero's because the media dont think its new worthy. BUT with all the racist remarks and the remarks on those who are gay the media feel the need to take it and run with it.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I seriously don't get the need to "come out" Its old and overused. I didn't need to come out that I am heterosexual. Why didn't the media go nuts over Alejendro Villanueva ? He Was picked up by the Eagles. He is a West Point grad. Former Army Ranger who earned a Bronze Medal. Did 3 tours in Afghanistan. He is Story to talk about . So yes I think the media has gone too far. When a man kissing a man gets more press than  a true hero its another example of how skewed our world is.

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

Roo1234
by Sister on May. 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I think....this is about sports and I just can't get excited about a guy who is going to be overpaid to play. If this was about a scientist,a teacher, someone who is going to have real impact in the world...then it might be interesting.
cjs702006
by Buddah on May. 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I think they should focus more on his talent as a football player instead of his sexual orientation. He's a gay football player.....not a big deal to me. Yes it was very couragous for him to come out, but I bet he isn't the only gay player in the NFL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)