Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Is Bergdahl getting the royal treatment?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 403 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I know this will be a touchy subject and we all have the right to our opinion. PLEASE do NOT bash others for their opinion. WE can have a GREAT and healthy discussion about this.

This solider went "missing" or rather walked away from his command post 5 years ago. Six of his brothers in arm were killed looking for him. The families are upset because he walked away and deserted.

BUT this rescue came with a price as well. Five Terrorist were in the exchange and this means that they are back on their own soil and able to plot their next move.

When they rescued Bergdahl he looked rather well and didnt look like he was mistreated. Actually the exchange went rather smoothly and differently than other exchanges that we have witness in the past.

What are your thoughts on this? Is he a hero? Should he be getting the royal treatment or sent to prison for desertion? Also the President is having to answer for not talking to anyone about this plan. He is being investigated and his own cabinet is upset about this as well. What do you think should happen since this exchange could be a dangerous one? Thoughts?

Remember no solider should be left behind and this is the motto of all Armed forces.

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marinemom03
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I do believe since he's an American Soldier he needed to be brought home.if he deserted the troops he should face that when he is home.I'm really unsure over the rest.I just know had that been my son,I'd want him home in the US no matter what.he is still an American
BL2010
by BL on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I do not think he's a hero. He went AWOL and should be punished here on American soil just like any other service person that goes AWOL.

As for the rest, well, I don't like to talk politics.

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I think he is a deserter. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be back on US soil though.

I also think they released way too many terrorists for just 1 man it should of been an equal number.

I also think he will face whatever they decided to do with him when he's well.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I think like in many instances there are things the American public will NEVER know regarding all the details and reasons for this exchange.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I think he should be punished for walking away from his troops. His fathers tweets was very interesting to say the least and it was indicated that Bergdahl wasnt capture but wanted to be there..

Here is his fathers tweet that he deleted..

FreeGuantanamoPrisoners

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the exchange was awful.  Never before did we exchange terrorist for an American.  That was our policy. I believe he went AWOL.  The Dad is loony too.  IF one of these guys we let out are connected to a terrorist act Obama is gonna pay. 

wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel he was a deserter & should be punished. I believe Obama is abusing his power & should have gone through congress first. What about the poor families that lost a loved one because they were looking for him? This is like a kick in the teeth to them.
terri-553
by Terri on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I don;t think he should be treated as a POW/War Hero,if he was my son I ;d want him home,on the other hand if he just deserted his company he should face a Court Marshal for being AWOL,in the end we may all pay the price of those 5 going free,

hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Jun. 4, 2014 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

This has been a touchy subject here as well but I feel strongly he should be examined very close....He should be held in custody for desertion.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Manning Fan on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM

This. But I doubt we truly have all the details of this situation, to make a sound judgment.

Quoting terri-553:

I don;t think he should be treated as a POW/War Hero,if he was my son I ;d want him home,on the other hand if he just deserted his company he should face a Court Marshal for being AWOL,in the end we may all pay the price of those 5 going free,

Dawn
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)