Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Neighborhood Drama

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:08 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 141 Total Views

Do any of you live in an "Active Adult Community"?

My mom lives in Del Webb (similar to Sun City etc) and the things that go on there amaze me constantly! She has had an impossible time fitting in, her block in particular is like a big clique. Everyone is in everyones business, I think they must all watch each other out the windows all day because they know when you walk, when you go out, when you come home. If they dont like you they try to run you out of the neighborhood. They "Black list" people. Its crazy, these are people in their 60's and up and these women act worse then middle schoolers!

I have urged my mom to move but she does not want to go through that, so she stays and puts up with so much crap. Some of these people are just down right mean.

Just curious if any of you live in a similar development and what your experiences have been.

by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Why does this not surprise me.
I too think she should move.
Life's too shirt for living unhappily.
samomama
by Ms. Fair Weather on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I don't now. But such communities where your business is everybody elses business are everywhere! Like Rose, I am not surprised either.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM

This dont surprise me either. I think she should move myself but if she is anything like my mom she is comfortable and think nothing of the others and what they think.

baconbits
by Sister on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:47 AM

If it doesn't bother her then don't worry. Sounds like she's standing up to them and she's fine with it. Would you let someone else run you out of your home?

valkay
by faithful sister on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this
My inlaws lived in one. My fil thought it was a bunch of nosey people. But after he died it was great they watched out for each other. They had this unwritten rule when you got up in the morning open the blinds facing the neighbors. So ,when my mil died in her sleep a neighbor was the one that discovered her. All because her blinds were not open at 11 am
Nimue930
by Sister on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM
I manage a complex like that, an independent living retirement community. Some of my residents are welcoming and accepting, but there is definitely an environment of junior high cafeteria mean girls. It's almost funny
kaarina
by Boston Strong on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Oh yes, my mother lives in Senior Housing. She always tells me the stories exactly like what you are describing. It's crazy!

secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I live in a very small village with a population of around 2500, it is like that here but having said that it also works for you, everyone knows everyones business but are so quick to help you when you are down, I would not want to live anywhere else.

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM

My mom lived in an apt complex like that...She now lives in her own place in a 55+ mobile home park...She couldn't throw out her trash without people looking and asking her what she's doing....

cjs702006
by Buddah on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM
No one in my family has experianced it.....it's too bad your mom has. If its that bad she really should concider moving.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)