Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Should I send this?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:17 AM
  • 38 Replies
  • 591 Total Views
2 moms liked this

My aunt is dying. Terminal cancer. Oh I dont want anyone to say "sorry" or anything.....but my question IS...late last night I thought about writing her a letter about all of the special things I remember about her. The weeks I stayed as a child during summer, etc. THen I hought that was stupid. And went to bed. But upon waking up I thought...my father died pretty young , terminal cancer. He KNEW he was going to die, but he fought till the end and everyone stayed far away from him.. Do you think this would be a kind thing , this type of letter, to bring back memories, or would you think it was rather well....morbid?

What I am getting at, really...is that flowers, a card to the family, etc....AFTER her death, well thats just for the living. Would it be in appropriate to write her such a letter while she is still alive?

by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GodsGirl74
Only in my house will you find Christmas music being played while carving pumpkins, Christmas shows while putting up Halloween Inflatables outside & Christmas decos sitting out in anticipation of being put up early!!! COME ON THANKSGIVING & CHRISTMAS!!!
Yesterday at 10:21 PM
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

If I cld have done that for my mother I wld have done that for her, I just never thought to. It is a wonderful gesture. At closing though I wld make a segestion to you that you end it with something like thank you for giving me these wonderful memories that I will cherish for a lifetime, that way it doesnt come across as morbid. I love the idea & I think its a great way to remember her during this time. You cld also have it read at her funeral if you wanted to. My mother was terminal & I so wish I wldnt have been so consumed by what was going on around me so that I cld have thought of something like this. 

sometimesred
by Bump Queen! on Jun. 27, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Always tell people who are still alive that you love them and what they mean to you.  Impossible to do after they are gone.

GMMC
by Angie's Shadow ;) on Jun. 27, 2014 at 3:42 AM
Is it for you or her?
Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 5:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Wouldn't it be nice to you'll be missed and what impact you had on someone's life before you die instead if at the eulogy you probably won't hear or care about?

Write the letter. She'll cry but it will mean so much to her
Fayanne
by Fay on Jun. 27, 2014 at 5:46 AM

I think it's a wonderful gesture

wenuck
by Moonshine on Jun. 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM
I think it would be very nice!!!!
coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:25 AM
I did that just before my grandmother died. I would say do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
secondcup5
by Proud Canuck on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:26 AM

I think this is an awesome idea but is there anyway it could be done in person or by phone?  Just to make sure she gets it!

cjs702006
by Buddah on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:51 AM
I think it would be wonderful!
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Its a letter of thanks and memories you loved and treasured. I would do it and make sure the end is one of thanks and how much you love her and will keep treasuring the memories and share with your children and the future generations.

I think its a great idea! Hugs~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)