Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update to my Frontline Post

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM
  • 20 Replies
  • 472 Total Views
2 moms liked this

The other day, I posted that my cousin's dog died due to using Frontline. My aunt had called me right away after the dog had passed to make sure that I didn't use Frotline on Wolfie. My cousin lives in Florida, and we live in Massachusetts, so all this info was relayed over the phone under very emotional circumstances. My cousin's husky had run off, and was gone for 23 days. They found her covered in ticks and brought her to the vet. The vet also treated her other husky in case there were any ticks brought home. Here is the story of what happened from my cousin..

It saddens me to have to write this but on Tuesday June 24,2014 , I brought my beloved Maya to the vets for a check-up after being gone for 23 days . I wanted nothing but the best for her well being. Maya check up was good except she had quite a number of ticks on her. The vet administered a topical medicine called CERTIFECT to get rid of the ticks she also sent me one home to put on Maya's brother as they were rebonding in the same room. Within 24 hours Maya had, diarrhea and was very lethargic. We thought it was because of all that she had been thru. On Wenesday afternoon Maya's brother teddi was given his CERTIFECT so he did not contract tics from Maya, within 12 hours Teddi was exhibiting all the sysmptoms that Maya had. But it got worse . I rushed them immediately to the vets on Thursday . Teddy was given an antidote and scrubbed to remove the poison from CERTIFECT and given IV fluids . Unfortunately it was to late for Maya after all she went thru to find her way home she died in my arms a slow and painful death due to a product made by MERIAL company the same company that produces Frontline.Merial has been aware of this for sometime and has kept this product on the market knowing it can kill our beloved pets. Please Pass this on and save a life in honor of Maya After this ordeal, I did a tremendous amount of research on both Certifect and Amitraz. As it turns out, Amitraz can be incredibly toxic to some dogs, even at "normal" canine topical dosing amounts. Mortality is reported at < 5% if proper treatment is rendered.... MORTALITY! That means for every 20 people who's dog gets ill from this medicine, one of our precious animals will die. Symptoms of Amitraz toxicity are often cardiovascular, GI and neurologic. They include frequent urination, hypersalivation, depression, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, shortness of breath, ataxia (stumbling), collapse, loss of consciousness, seizures and death. There were several case accounts of acute and chronic liver failure, kidney failure and paralysis.

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM
3 moms liked this
Thanks for the info Kaarina. I'm so sorry for your cousins loss.
Lori942
by UMM....... Lori :) on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this

 Oh this is awfull and so so sad.  I am sorry for the loss of  your cousin's dog Maya.  Thank you so much for passing this info along and I will be sharing this info with all my family and friends that have pets.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM
3 moms liked this

 Thank you for this information and I am so sorry for the loss of your cousins beloved fur baby.

No I don't use Front-line or any of these products after having a bad reaction to one many years ago that almost killed my fur baby. I use the original blue Dawn soap and we spray our house with it and vinegar. Right now they are saying with the weird weather we had and all the rain that NO fleas product will work very well because the infestation is bad. WE haven't seen it as of yet...

Mariagma3
by Maria - Midwest Lady on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this

 Kaarina- I am so sorry for your cousin's loss. How horribly sad!! HUGS!

gracef282
by Kiwi Maid on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:41 PM
3 moms liked this
That's scarey stuff. Interesting to know
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh my how sad!! Thanks again I did tell my oldest daughter about this for her little fur baby!!
1kidmomajm
by Kristy on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this

OMG. that is the sadest thing I have heard in a while. She barely had her dog back before he died. So horrible, just so horrible. I have not heard of Certifect. The dog was probably to weak from his 23 day adventure to have such a toxin put on him. But then for the other dog to be sick. I am just so sorry. I am sure the vet feels absolutely terrible. I don't know if your cousin would be up for this or it is probably to late, but a necropsy may reveal more information. I am so sad over this, your cousin has been through such emotions.

DanaG70
by Tinker Bell on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

This is the very reason that I use Tea tree oil and baby shampoo to help with fleas and ticks, and because of I signed a paper to get my money back because we had to take our dog to the emergency vet, I can't tell you what kind we used. Needless to say, I no longer use any flea preventive from the store or vet. 

I find that Tea tree oil works great.

Sorry about the loss to your cousin.

GMMC
by Giselle on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:31 AM

 I seen your post earlier today and honestly was kind of scared to open it. Since your original post I have passed on this message to all of my family and friends as a warning.

I am so, so sorry to hear of this tragedy.

My love to the family and to you as well Mama...

GMMC
by Giselle on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Are you serious...tea tree oil....?????

It makes so much sense!

I am going to research this out some more but it makes so much sense!

Thanks Mama!

Quoting DanaG70:

This is the very reason that I use Tea tree oil and baby shampoo to help with fleas and ticks, and because of I signed a paper to get my money back because we had to take our dog to the emergency vet, I can't tell you what kind we used. Needless to say, I no longer use any flea preventive from the store or vet. 

I find that Tea tree oil works great.

Sorry about the loss to your cousin.

 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)