• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you lost a friend because of social media? POLL

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 340 Total Views
3 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Have you lost a long time friend due to social media?

Options:

Yes, I lost a good friend due to social media

NOPE

If I lost my friend because of a social media site then we were NOT friends to begin with

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 16

View Results

Back when we were kids we didn't have social media. What we did was write a note and sent it to our friends (boyfriend) by what ever means we could. We didn't go and write what we were doing or for that matter what we were eating or drinking. When we took pictures it was more for memories and less for bragging or for that matter showing the next person what we are doing/not doing.

More marriages have been broken up due to social media and many has lost their jobs, children and even friends. It seems that if someone needs to burp they feel the need to place it on a social media site. How they take so many pictures of them drinking/eating/ fighting/or abusing their dog/child.

Many has lost a long time friend on social media or even for that matter a spouse.

Have you lost anyone to social media?

Join us for coffee&support (_)3

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mznaye
by French Quarter Queen on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm not big on posting on social media.
wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I have not.
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a very limited social media friend list. I am quick to block people and don't deal in drama. If someone has drama or even complains too much I guarantee they will not make my list. I only want to surround myself with positive people.
Momofmenagerie
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I wrote , no, but the foolishness ppl post have given me a reason to call my older son's father's probation officer. ... His friend was a fool for posting such " proof " of violation

No, did not stalk, a mutual acquaintance also worried about him suggested I look for myself.

This isn't losing anyone who wasn't already lost to me and himself.
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't post a lot of personal stuff on social media. And I don't do drama. I have blocked a few people for their drama. But if I losa a "friend" over something I post, then they were not much of a friend in the first place. So no worries....

samomama
by Ruby sister on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here.

Quoting ALolies:

I don't post a lot of personal stuff on social media. And I don't do drama. I have blocked a few people for their drama. But if I losa a "friend" over something I post, then they were not much of a friend in the first place. So no worries....

gracef282
by Kiwi Maid on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:04 PM
I only text or call. Never one to use social media that much to keep in contact. But here on cm everything is controlled and monitored. I love it.
Maida265
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:03 PM
I voted yes but it had little to do with it being social media and more to do with difference of opinion that couldn't be worked out without talking .
secondcup5
by Carol - Proud Canuck on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here, I really don't get all the personal information put out there on face book, cm I trust but then again I do not post alot of personal information.  I have no sympathy for people that loose jobs because they call in sick and then post a picture of themselves at the beach, or tell there husband or wife they are working and then say how much fun they had at the bar, I am ole school I do not need the world to know my every movement.

Quoting gracef282: I only text or call. Never one to use social media that much to keep in contact. But here on cm everything is controlled and monitored. I love it.

Tracys2
by Bronze sister on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Nope- almost every friend I've had in the past 20 years I've got ON social media. And I do probably overshare (to certain people only, of course), but that's because nobody around here wants to hear anything, and if I don't share online, I just don't talk to anyone. Which is incredibly lonely.

I am out and amongst people, but with social anxiety and depression, it's really hard to make RL friends- they just find ways out of invitations and such. Online, you are just talking, so they can't tell how bad you are, and you can discuss ideas, favourite foods, the meaning of life, things it's hard to get people to discuss in RL, after college. <3 I have met loads of great people on SM and met them, and they're great in person, too. Just unfortunately too far away!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)