Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I think I am a retail snob

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM
  • 25 Replies
  • 533 Total Views
2 moms liked this

I have worked in retail for the past 30+ years. We now own 2 businesses.

When I go into a store, any store, and the people working there are not quite "up to par". I get so annoyed.

I was taught customer service is #1 priority. My husband and I run our businesses this way. We are always kind. We speak to customers like they are our friends. We have very loyal customers and many have become very good friends. If a difficult customer comes in, we treat them as we would anyone else, then complain about them after they leave the premises. lol. We do everything we can to make our customers feel welcome and comfortable.

When I go in a store and see people just dragging their feet and complaining about their jobs, I just want to scream! I don't care about how they feel about their job, how many hours they got screwed out of, when they get off work, or how many hours they have been there. Just do your job! Once, while being rung out, the cashier actually STOPPED scanning my items to look at a text she just got, THEN SHE REPLIED TO IT! Really? Yes, management was told.

I know many people should not be working with the public, but seriously, if you don't want to be there, don't apply to work there!

There are seriously a few cashiers that I avoid like the plague! I would rather wait 20 minutes in a long line than to expose myself to some of the people that work at certain retail establishments.

Rant over. Sorry, I really needed that. haha

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I am a sister snob. As a business owner, it annoys me as well.  And the whiney ones are the worst!

alexgia
by Silver sister on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

since we are on the subject of retail i must vent about my experience the other day.  i went to wal-mart-haven't been there in years but my soon to be 5 year old granddaughter wants a pool toy from wal-mart so i went there to buy a gift card as she lives 200 miles away.  

i had trouble even finding a gift card and finally found one and a few other items.  there were only 3 registers open with one line feeding into them.  i did not realize i was in the 20 item or less line, but the woman behind me said i was ok as i had about 15 items.

the place was hot and noisy but i waited in the line for the quick check for 20 minutes.  when i went to put my items on the check out stand the cashier informed me she was off in 5 minutes and i would have to go to a different line.  there were at least 7 people in line behind me.

i am not proud to say i abandoned my cart and went to target.  my gd will have to deal with a target gc.  i will never go to that wal-mart if any again.

Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I worked retail and food service for quite sometime.
I have to say, I have complained as a customer, BUT I also make a huge deal out of complimenting a server/ cashier to their face, calling the manager, and even doing to stupid survey to be sure they are recognized higher up.

I've stood up to a bully of a customer harassing a cashier when no manager was coming to her aide. ( she was ringing me up, and a witch was on the OTHER SIDE behind the counter intimidating the hell out of her.) I spoke up, we had words and ...honestly I think had she followed me out... I would've taken her on! Hah!

I wrote two hand written notes on my prettiest stationery: one to the cashier thanking her her for her poise and kindness and apologizing for probably making her day work with a ten included. And one to her manager basically saying the same thing.

I should say that I am embarrassed for behaving as I did... But I'm not.

I've been on the receiving end of being treated like I was gum on a shoe that it was like.... "hey, wait! I'M not wearing the name tag! I can make a scene because I 'm only representing myself and DEFENDING this tiny waif of a teenager!"
Gotta say it felt good!
I am ultra kind to customer service workers and when met with the opposite, I halt all conversation and either leave or call the manager from my car.
GMMC
by Angie's Shadow ;) on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I wonder if this an age thing?

I have pretty high demands as well and can't believe some of the folks out in the public sector.

I also go out of my way to give praise when deserved!
ravenseeyore
by Gee on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I worked in Food Service Management for over 25 years, some in full service but mostly in fast food.  I have been on the receiving end of the verbal abuse. On more than one occasion I had to tell a customer to leave. One night a customer started throwing her food items at one of my cashiers.  Then couldn't understand why I told her to leave.  Because I have been on that side of the counter I will go out of my way to make sure management knows about a good employee

I shop at the dreaded Walmart or Winn-Dixie during the day that way I get to deal with the more mature employees.  And have very few problems.   I stay clear of them in the evenings or on the weekends, because the younger ones do not understand how to bag groceries.  And they don't seem to care.  I have been known to stop them and ask that they not put heavy items on top of bread or fruit.

Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a business owner but I know how people want to be treated and get very annoyed when they hire young people who chat it up rather than do their job. Now I don't mind some chat, but when they aren't paying attention to how they are bagging my groceries while they do it...yeah...I mind!

coolmommy2x
by Silver sister on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I worked retail for 13 years. If I'm in a store and there's something on the floor, I pick it up, if it's clothing I also fold it. Just a habit but I also know that the employees on duty have probably pick up and folded that same item 100 times. If I receive good customer service I'll let them know and I have written notes to management for that. Too many good deeds go unthanked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenuck
by Moonshine on Jul. 3, 2014 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not even in retail I work in a factory and there are people at my job like this and it annoys the crap out of me grrrr!!
brooklynchic151
by Staten Island Psycho on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

im not in retail,but ive worked with the public for years.. and you definitly have to be a people person, have a great personality and patience.. and alot of people out there have none... and yes i get real annoyed when i get attitude at a store,and i just walk right out...

ChellBell2013
by Beach Lover on Jul. 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I work in retail and I lnow the store I work at they are
Horrible there is ways atuff to be done if we are not with a
Customer and some of them just stand around chit chat
Make there own breaks take more breaks then they are supposed to
While others bust there tail bones ... I make sure to
Walk around and make my customers enjoy coming in
So they will come back if only more people did the same
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)