Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Transgender bathrooms . . . What Do You Think?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM
  • 42 Replies
  • 709 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: How do you feel about 'Family Bathrooms' becoming 'transgender bathrooms'?

Options:

It doesn't bother me. ... and wouldn't have even when my kids were young.

Family bathrooms should stay FAMILY BATHROOMS. I don't care if they have transgender facilities or not.

They need to provide a transgender bathroom seperate from the FAMILY BATHROOMS.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

I remember when my oldest son was young, there came a point in his life where I felt he was to big (old) for me to comfortably take him into the ladies restroom with me if he had to use the bathroom BUT at the same time, I felt he was still to young for me to let him go by himself into the mens bathroom. ............... Therefore, we started just avoiding public, crowded places for a while unless my  husband was going to be with us so he could go with him into the men's restroom. ........................... Then we went through the same type of thing when we had girls (visa versa ofcourse).

Anyway, it was right after my kids were just past that stage that we started seeing "Family Bathrooms" pop up and I remember my husband and I seeing those and talking about how great those had to be because that way parents of the opposite sex could still take their kids to the bathroom and the kids would be safe.  I just wished they had those around when I needed them with my kids.  Anyway, it is good to know that it is available  now.

This morning, I saw a news report that they are starting to turn those "Family Bathrooms" into 'transgender bathrooms'~~~meaning we would start finding our gender confused population in there.  I for one would not be comfortable taking my small child into a bathroom catering to that part of the population. 

How would you feel/have felt about that with your young children?

The transgender bathroom would ofcourse be marked by the 'doll' in the middle.

Click my tag to follow me to:

Stephanie

by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maime13
by Bronze sister on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I view the family bathroom as a "safe space" for whomever needs it. I hate the transgender people can't feel safe going to the bathroom they belong in, which to me is the gender with which they identify.

I don't think family bathrooms are going away. I doubt highly that they will all become "transgender bathrooms". What I think more likely will happen is that they will be deemed "private/safe bathrooms". I mean,a family bathroom isn't always for people with small children. Some develpmentally disabled people who are older have special toileting needs to require more privacy. Some people have health/physical issues that are better attended to in a private restroom because they require space or time or to save them possible embarassment.

Long story short, I have no issue with broadening the use and definition of what is currently called the "family bathroom". I'm pretty sure it's already being used that way.

Edited to add the question-What difference does it make who uses a private bathroom when you aren't in it? I mean, how would it make you uncomfortable to take your child into a private restroom that may have previously been used by someone who is transgender? Do you know every person who uses a public restroom? Because those see far more, and a larger variety of, people.

Manth
by Manth on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I have friends and family members who are transgender.  Some were born male but feel female, others born female but identify as male.  Since I love them, I've been taking notice of such things to try and help them find ways to live day-to-day when it's difficult.

They have a LOT of issues in public using bathrooms.  If they go into the one that they FEEL is right (but their genitals don't match) they get harrassed, especially if they are in the early stages of transition and don't look particularly like their preferred gender.  If they go into the one that their genitals match, they feel really uncomfortable because they 'know' it's wrong.  Many of them just don't go at all - which can cause pain - or use a handicapped stall when they are not handicapped, which comes with its own set of issues.  

What we really need to have available are unisex bathrooms - ones where it really doesn't matter what your gender is, you just go there and do what you have to.  They would all be private stalls rather than urinals - basically the set-up we have now in women's rooms - but it wouldn't matter what gender you are walking through the door.

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM
I think it's a waste of money. Why not rename the family bathroom something like individual bathrooms. And leave it at that. Whoever needs it, for whatever reason, can use it. I don't see why we need to have special names for these individual bathrooms.

And don't misunderstand me, I am very sympathetic to somebody who's transgendered I cannot imagine the difficulties this would bring
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephs5isenough
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I think we, as women, would start to have real issues with unisex bathrooms when we start needing to go to the bathroom and walk to find pee all over the seat. .............. Just Sayin'.

Quoting Manth:

I have friends and family members who are transgender.  Some were born male but feel female, others born female but identify as male.  Since I love them, I've been taking notice of such things to try and help them find ways to live day-to-day when it's difficult.

They have a LOT of issues in public using bathrooms.  If they go into the one that they FEEL is right (but their genitals don't match) they get harrassed, especially if they are in the early stages of transition and don't look particularly like their preferred gender.  If they go into the one that their genitals match, they feel really uncomfortable because they 'know' it's wrong.  Many of them just don't go at all - which can cause pain - or use a handicapped stall when they are not handicapped, which comes with its own set of issues.  

What we really need to have available are unisex bathrooms - ones where it really doesn't matter what your gender is, you just go there and do what you have to.  They would all be private stalls rather than urinals - basically the set-up we have now in women's rooms - but it wouldn't matter what gender you are walking through the door.

Click my tag to follow me to:

Stephanie

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
And by the way, I have been in the women's dressing room with a person who was clearly not born a woman.. And I had absolutely no issue. Because somebody wants to come try clothing on in the room next to me in no way affects me.

If I was in the bathroom and somebody was going to bathroom next to me who did not have female body parts again this would not bother me. it wouldn't bother me if my children were in there too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maime13
by Bronze sister on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

The men would be the one's with the issue. Woman are soooo much nastier than men in the restroom! I have seen some horrific things in a ladies room (period related messes, fecal matter...). And women who try to "hover" so their blessed cheeks don't touch the seat but then spray all over everything and leave the mess?! Please!!

I'm all for unisex bathrooms. It would help with the line at the ladies room issue too!

Quoting stephs5isenough:

I think we, as women, would start to have real issues with unisex bathrooms when we start needing to go to the bathroom and walk to find pee all over the seat. .............. Just Sayin'.

Quoting Manth:

lawh9302
by Sister on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this

I believe that all people (whether they are black, white, green, blue, gay, straight, transgender) should feel safe doing personal business in a public restroom.  I hate that we live in a society that any human being cannot feel safe living but it is reality.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this
The "Family Restrooms" are private. Why would I care if transgender people use it? I think it should be labeled "Private Restroom" and leave it at that.
BL2010
by BL on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Intersting as I've been in some pretty nasty bathrooms where the women has pissed all over the seat too and didn't clean it up.

Quoting stephs5isenough:

Quoting Manth:

BL2010
by BL on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all. I figure EVERYONE has to relieve themselves at some point during the day. I don't really care what's between their legs.

How would I know who this person was or their gender? Am I watching them through a little hole?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN