Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Good afternoon ladies. I am new this group and i have a question.

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 29 Replies
  • 359 Total Views

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChellBell2013
by Beach Lover on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM
There is no ?
ebmars2681
by Sister on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:31 PM

sorry i hit add before i could ask the question lol.

i am 43 years old and i have a 19 month old grandson who i just adore.  i have been taking him every single Friday since he was about two weeks old and taking him home on Saturday evenings. Sometimes i would keep him the entire weekend.

my question is; am i wrong for feeling like in need time to myself? i feel so guilty if i don't go and get him, but i really need time to myself.  i have raised three children.  they are now 24, 21 and the youngest is 15.  i lived my life for my children and now i want to do everything that i couldn't do while raising them.

they went away to VA Beach last weekend and i was so happy!! i missed my grandson but i was happy that they were gone because that was a break for me.  everyone came back sick except for the mother and my grandson. i forgot to add that she has two other children from a previous relationship so when i say everyone i mean my son, the 7 year old and the 3 year old.  everyone has an illness that they are all taking antibiotics for and they all have pink eye lol.  even though mommy and baby aren't sick, i don't want to take my grandson this weekend because i'm afraid that i will get sick.

any thoughts??

Fayanne
by Fay on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:36 PM

nothing wrong with taking time for yourself

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I see nothing wrong with scaling back. Maybe every other weekend would be better and that is still quite a bit.
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Welcome to the group. I don't think there is anything wrong with you needing a break. Hugz!

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group and NO you are not wrong in feeling like you need time for yourself. They acutally shouldn't be expecting it either. Just limit yourself and if you feel like you should I would take the baby for just 1 night on occassion.

Micawife
by Bronze sister on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing wrong with you wanting "Me Time", you have done your job as a parent, now let them do theirs. I would cut back to every other weekend. This is the SAME advice I have given my 71 year old Mom, she still misses out on things she wants to do because just about every weekend she has to take care of my niece :(   Not to mention, I firmly believe that any illnesses need to be completely gone so that no one else gets sick.

BL2010
by BL on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

No, there is nothing wrong with wanting/needing you time. Had you agreed to taking the baby every week? If they came back sick they should not expect you to take the baby, who has no problem yet, but could. Don't put yourself at risk of getting sick.

Have you sat your son down and talked to him about all this? Do you work outside the home? Just curious.

Quoting ebmars2681:

i am 43 years old and i have a 19 month old grandson who i just adore.  i have been taking him every single Friday since he was about two weeks old and taking him home on Saturday evenings. Sometimes i would keep him the entire weekend.

my question is; am i wrong for feeling like in need time to myself? i feel so guilty if i don't go and get him, but i really need time to myself.  i have raised three children.  they are now 24, 21 and the youngest is 15.  i lived my life for my children and now i want to do everything that i couldn't do while raising them.

they went away to VA Beach last weekend and i was so happy!! i missed my grandson but i was happy that they were gone because that was a break for me.  everyone came back sick except for the mother and my grandson. i forgot to add that she has two other children from a previous relationship so when i say everyone i mean my son, the 7 year old and the 3 year old.  everyone has an illness that they are all taking antibiotics for and they all have pink eye lol.  even though mommy and baby aren't sick, i don't want to take my grandson this weekend because i'm afraid that i will get sick.

any thoughts??

sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM

1) why did you start taking him?  was it because they needed the baby sitting or was it to give your daughter in law a small break and the couple some time alone?

2) why do you only take the baby if you have two other grand children? The 7 & 3 year old are not bio grandkids but arent they still your grandkids?

ebmars2681
by Sister on Jul. 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

no, there was no agreement to him coming with me every week, but i'm sure my son was expecting it lol.  and that is part of the problem i believe. it started out at every other weekend but then they started calling me every weekend and i just didn't know how to say no.

i have not spoken to my son about this. i guess it's about time to have the talk.  and yes, i work outside the home. i work mon-fri and sometimes i have so much going on with my 15yr old daughter when i get off that when the weekend comes my body is finished lol.

Quoting BL2010:

Hi and welcome to the group.

No, there is nothing wrong with wanting/needing you time. Had you agreed to taking the baby every week? If they came back sick they should not expect you to take the baby, who has no problem yet, but could. Don't put yourself at risk of getting sick.

Have you sat your son down and talked to him about all this? Do you work outside the home? Just curious.

Quoting ebmars2681:

any thoughts??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN