Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Spray Sunscreen Warning

ALolies
Come party with us!
Friday at 1:26 PM
40ish and beyond... Group - CafeMom

A group for women beyond 40 who would like to share advice,ask questions,vent out and Have fun.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 142 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Consumer Reports warning on spray-on sunscreens

Consumer Reports warning on spray-on sunscreens

Credit: WTSP

A new warning, issued by Consumer Reports, warns parents of the potential dangers of chemicals in spray-on sunscreens that can be inhaled in kids' lungs.

|

WVEC.com

Posted on July 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Updated yesterday at 11:45 AM

VIRGINIA BEACH-- A new warning is out for parents about the sunscreen they use on their kids. Consumer Reports recommends parents stop using the spray-on sunscreens for now until more research is done about possible chemicals kids may be taking into their lungs.

On Virginia Beach's Oceanfront, protecting his daughter Kerrigan from the sun's rays is a priority for Tommy Hooker.  He says the sunrays must be a bigger threat than spray-on sunscreen. 

Easier to use, sure, but are they safer?

Consumer Reports says maybe not.

It recommends parents put spray-on sunscreens on hold and wait for an FDA study on chemicals found in spray-on sunscreens that may contain small particles known to cause developmental problems in animals' lungs. The chemicals are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.

Click here to read Consumer Reports warning.

Dr. Joseph Toland of Northshore Pediatrics in Virginia Beach says in his 40 years of practice he has never had an asthmatic patient have an attack triggered due to spray on sunscreen. 

"I've had more kids have an attack from the chlorine fumes coming from indoor pools. Just use your common sense on this one. You can still use it. Just know you should never spray any chemical in a child's face," Toland said.  

The bottle says not to spray onto child's face. But Dr. Toland says he knows many times convenience can beat common sense. 

Keely Biladeau says these sunscreens give her fair skin the best protection, but at a cost because she's asthmatic.

"It's not very good, because you start coughing a little bit. But it's a good warning to have at least," Biladeau says.

But is it enough of warning to get her to switch?

"Yeah," she says, "because of the warning and being asthmatic, I don't want to put myself at risk."

Instead of spraying the sunscreen onto your child's skin, Consumer Reports suggests spraying it on your hand first, then rubbing it on their bodies. When using the spray-on sunscreens adults should avoid the face area.

http://www.wvec.com/home/Consumer-Reports-warning-on-spray-on-sunscreens-266517491.html

ALolies

by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wenuck
by Moonshine on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks Angela saw this on the news =)
I'm old fashioned use the cream still on Ciara. She likes putting it on too
ALolies
Come party with us!

A group for women beyond 40 who would like to share advice,ask questions,vent out and Have fun.

by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We saw it on the news as well. We don't have small children, but Kevin uses this stuff. I wish he would just use the cream, but he has NEVER liked lotions on his body. So I guess the spray is better than nothing.

I am glad Ciara likes the cream ones. 

Quoting wenuck: Thanks Angela saw this on the news =) I'm old fashioned use the cream still on Ciara. She likes putting it on too

ALolies

Lori942
by UMMMMM....... on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

We have always used the cream mainly because it was always cheaper than the spray.  I seen this too on the news and I swear no matter what we do to try and stay safe and healthy we find out what we are using or eating is now dangerous. grrrrrr frustrating!!

ALolies
Come party with us!

by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

So True. Everything causes some sort of danger to our health. 

Quoting Lori942:

We have always used the cream mainly because it was always cheaper than the spray.  I seen this too on the news and I swear no matter what we do to try and stay safe and healthy we find out what we are using or eating is now dangerous. grrrrrr frustrating!!

ALolies

GMMC
by Angie's Shadow ;) on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Goo to know.
GMMC
by Angie's Shadow ;) on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Oops.

I meant good to know!

Quoting GMMC: Goo to know.
Tracys2
by Bronze sister on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I had just got my kids to FINALLY go for the spray. And now I love it. So much easier not to miss patches, and I can do all 3 kids in less than half the time it takes with the other goop.

I have heard good things about the neutrogena bar that is like deodorant- supposed to go on fast also, AND you don't have to touch the icky stuff. I hate sunscreen.

We try to go out so early or late in the day that we don't need it, so at least we don't use it often enough to cause a major problem. I tell them to hold their breath when doing arms/chest.

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Spray has been out for a while I wished they would of done this a while back my dd just started using this now I have to get her to use the other stuff. I use creams for me.

BamaRose61
by Sister on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I have used the spray, but never sprayed her face.  But the last I bought was the cream type in a tube.

homecare71
by Sister on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for letting me know. I would never spray in anyone's face, but find it works very well at blocking sun, so like it. I will use caution. I try to go away from folks, and spray away from the wind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN