Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying a laptop...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 236 Total Views

My son starts his classes in a month and needs a laptop.  I'm used to Windows 7 but most of laptops on sale include Windows 8.1.  Not sure if it is worth paying more for Windows 7?  I have heard complaints about Windows 8 but nothing about the new update. 

What about touch screens?  Anyone recommend them? 

I'm waiting for the back to school sales but I want to be prepared when I go shopping.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM

When I was looking for a computer for school I went to Best Buy and talk to the sales guy. I told him what I needed and he told me what I should get. If you need to go ask several who know what they are doing (not just for a sale) and see if they come up with the same type computer (i did this).

Good luck...

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I like touch screen...

coolmommy2x
by Gold sister on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM
I chose not to get the touchscreen but I've been told it's easier to use with Windows 8.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have windows 8 I am scared after all I have heard about it to go that route although laptop buying is in our future that's what we are getting our dd for Christmas. I have tough screen on my desk top it's ok I can take it or leave it. Laptop I would love since it's not something you have to bend for.

Have fun and Good Luck

Micawife
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM

DD starts college next month, and just got a touch screen. She loves it!! She went to Best Buy and got a display model for 1/2 price and all that was wrong was a small scratch on the outside cover. It also still came with the regular 1 year warranty.

BL2010
by BL on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I don't know what to tell ya, sorry. But I do know that most people I know that have Windows 8 do NOT like it. Personally, I'd pay more for Windows 7.

invisibleme
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Check with your local computer stores for information. You will get better information than in the big box stores.

wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
You came to the right place to ask!! These women know pretty much I needed help before Christmas for hubby!! Asking the same question but do you know what he wanted truck tires lmao!!!
sometimesred
by Bump Queen! on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a computer retard, but my DS has his masters in computer science.  He tells me that 8.1 has a 7 emulator, that lets it operate like 7.  Touch screens are great for people who are used to using tablets and smart phones.  For those who are keyboard oriented the touch screen is a nightmare.  He said the things to look for in a laptop are:  Does it have wifi, does it have an optical drive (cd/dvd), Does it have at least 3 usb ports, does it have at least 4 gigs of memory, what is the speed of the processor (many lower priced laptops have very slow processors making the computer load and run slow, he recommends a minimum of a 2.8 processor, a 3 or better is excellent.  Battery life if to be used portable without power supply, more cells = longer battery operation time.

dmorris14
by Sister on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Thank you!!  And tell you DS thank you!!  I knew that Windows 8 had issues, but I was hoping that 8.1 was better!!  And I was totally clueless what was good on a processor.  I'm ready to shop!!

Quoting sometimesred:

I am a computer retard, but my DS has his masters in computer science.  He tells me that 8.1 has a 7 emulator, that lets it operate like 7.  Touch screens are great for people who are used to using tablets and smart phones.  For those who are keyboard oriented the touch screen is a nightmare.  He said the things to look for in a laptop are:  Does it have wifi, does it have an optical drive (cd/dvd), Does it have at least 3 usb ports, does it have at least 4 gigs of memory, what is the speed of the processor (many lower priced laptops have very slow processors making the computer load and run slow, he recommends a minimum of a 2.8 processor, a 3 or better is excellent.  Battery life if to be used portable without power supply, more cells = longer battery operation time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)