Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you like pet names?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM
  • 26 Replies
  • 361 Total Views
I am with someone who constantly calls me honey. I think he means well. In fact I know he does, but it feels like he has forgotten my name and has probably called every woman in his past by the same name. It's starting to set my teeth on edge because I am not a pet name sort of person. Know what I mean, honey? Grr!
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, as you probably notice from my posts and comments Hun, I am a pet name kind of gal!!! LOL. 

I call my hubby Honey. I have from pretty much the beginning of our relationship. I can't explain why, I just do. He calls me Baby. We both know it is not (and was not) to keep from having to keep up with names. They are just terms of endearment.

I call many almost everyone Sweetie or Hun. I live in the south and think that is pretty much everyones' name... LOL

DS and DIL call each other Dear....

LadyAmaranth
by Hillarie on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I enjoyed it when hubby called me by mine but it's odd if others do.

However, I have been known to do the occasional "hun" when reinforcing my care for close friends. Usually during conversations where they are needing help or feeling down.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM
3 moms liked this

My hub has called me dear since day one. If he ever called me Dana I would think he was talking to someone else.

MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Gotta let him know. Hope his brain isn't so clouded with names that he can't recall...

Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a pet name kind of gal I call everyone sweetie, Honey or something I have to admit some of that is out of I forgot your name, but most of those are terms of endearment to me.My hubby calls me dear always has or Honey

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it is more of a southern thing and really can be cute. I guess maybe because I am encountering this later in life, it doesn't feel natural. I am venting here and feel like a heel because I hate it but would never want to hurt his feelings in a million years. I think I would prefer a unique nickname.

Quoting ALolies:

Well, as you probably notice from my posts and comments Hun, I am a pet name kind of gal!!! LOL. 

I call my hubby Honey. I have from pretty much the beginning of our relationship. I can't explain why, I just do. He calls me Baby. We both know it is not (and was not) to keep from having to keep up with names. They are just terms of endearment.

I call many almost everyone Sweetie or Hun. I live in the south and think that is pretty much everyones' name... LOL

DS and DIL call each other Dear....

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Mine used to say, "that's my baby" but usually after I did something kind of on the evil side. -sigh- It's horrible to think I will never hear that again.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

I enjoyed it when hubby called me by mine but it's odd if others do.

However, I have been known to do the occasional "hun" when reinforcing my care for close friends. Usually during conversations where they are needing help or feeling down.

AndrewsMomPDX
by Christine on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I do think it's sweet when someone uses terms of endearment even on strangers but I may be too reserved. Something to think about.

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

I am a pet name kind of gal I call everyone sweetie, Honey or something I have to admit some of that is out of I forgot your name, but most of those are terms of endearment to me.My hubby calls me dear always has or Honey

GMMC
by Giselle on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I am on the fence about it. I call my family members by pet names all the time. But...it depends in who is calling me a pet name. I have had the experience of it being a bit condensating. (?)

So it really depends on who is doing the calling!

Better hurry up and address it Christine before it gets right under your skin!

Good luck!
Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe just say hey can I ask you to call me this instead. See is that works.

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX: I do think it's sweet when someone uses terms of endearment even on strangers but I may be too reserved. Something to think about.
Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)