Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Just wondering if this would offend you if you were pregnant

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:12 AM
  • 29 Replies
  • 355 Total Views

A friend of mine ( online) is pregnant, and I believe due to deliver in November. She has posted pics on FB and holey moley......I know there is only one baby, how can anyone get that huge?And Its just the beginning of August!

I need to point out, I am some freak that has given birth 5 times without ever showing that I was pregnant at all. I never needed preggo cloths, eaxch time showing up at the hospital they wondered why I was there, and OMG, how far along I was UNDER due....every OBGYN had to take extra sonograms to make sure the baby was growing because my belly measurements never changed, and on the last pregnancy I actually kept it a secret from people that saw me everyday. I just came home one day with a baby, everyone wanted to know whos baby it was. That was really fun, but the part about standing in long lines and no one giving up seats for me was not. Heck, I had to load a costco size bag of dogfood in my truck while I was in labor once......no one suspected I was pregnant.( My doc said I would deliver withen 24 hours and my dogs had no food...go figure my priorities that day..)

Back to my online friends pics. And anyone in real life........I am always amazed , astonished how large normal women get. And so I always want to say, gosh you are SO big! That kid is gonna be a quarterback! But I step back, and then think....*I* am the one that is unusual here. Did it ever bother you to have someone comment on how large you were? Or did you take it as a compliment that you were growing a healthy baby? ( Oh, BTW, all my kids were between 7-8 poounds, with no complications at all, I just never grew a bump or showed)

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsJHoward
by Pageant Mom on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM
With my first it didn't bother me because my goodness I gained 70 pounds! I knew I was huge. With my last two I was already so much over weight that you couldn't really tell I was pregnant till the last month or so. Honestly if you're big you're big and it is what it is.

Btw I have also lugged a costco size bag of dog food while close to delivery date. Lol dogs gotta eat right?
TableforSeven
by Bronze sister on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:33 AM

I always got big as a house and delivered a minivan (at least that is what -I- said about all five of my pregnancies).  My babies weren't huge....all right around 8lbs -- I was almost entirely belly.  My grandmother was in the hospital when I was abut 3 months pregnant with my second baby - I remember the nurse running around to find me a chair to sit down in while visiting my grandmother and the nurse saying "oh my goodness, you look like you are about to pop - when is your baby due?" - to which I replied "I hope I don't 'pop' too soon as I'm not due for another SIX months!".  Honestly, it never bothered me if someone I knew commented on my size....I knew I was big.  If a stranger or someone I didn't know well made a comment, I just chalked it up to them being rude and not knowing when to keep their mouths shut.

gracef282
by Kiwi Maid on Aug. 3, 2014 at 3:18 AM
So long as the baby is a healthy bundle of joy, what does it matter to anyone how large a woman gets. If she's healthy and happy, all power to her... I would never say something like that to anyone. Its offensive and rude.
nussknacker
by Nutlady on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:16 AM

Thank you fot your honesty! 

Quoting gracef282: So long as the baby is a healthy bundle of joy, what does it matter to anyone how large a woman gets. If she's healthy and happy, all power to her... I would never say something like that to anyone. Its offensive and rude.

nussknacker
by Nutlady on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM

Thank you for your honesty

Quoting gracef282: So long as the baby is a healthy bundle of joy, what does it matter to anyone how large a woman gets. If she's healthy and happy, all power to her... I would never say something like that to anyone. Its offensive and rude.

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM

I was 98 pound before I had any of my kids and I was always BIG. I didnt eat junk and always ate healthy and delivered 6 pound babies. BTW I always went back to my pre baby weight fast afterwards as well. AND I was smaller with my twins than my single babies.

Manth
by Manth on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I was already pretty overweight with both of my kids, so if you didn't know me, you'd assume I was just fat.  I barely gained ANY weight with my doc's blessing - 2 lb with the first (before pre-eclampsia blew me up and my kidneys failed, making me gain almost 40 lb of fluid over 10 days before the emergency delivery) and 5 lb with the second by delivery date.  My girls were little, too - 3 lb 14 oz (born at 32 weeks) and 6 lb 10 oz (on her due date).  

My sister - who was normally tiny - used to blow up with every pregnancy.  She would gain 60 lb or more each time, have a normal-sized baby (her biggest of the five was 8 lb 2 oz) then within a month would be back wearing size 4 clothes again and looking at her you'd swear she had never been pregnant.

My poor MIL when she was expecting DH - she was HUGE.  She could barely walk she was so big, and the doc was convinced she was carrying twins (back 52 years ago the concept of an ultrasound scan was unknown).  He was her biggest baby at 9 lb 8 oz.  When she came to visit our Athena (the premature one) in hospital she was astounded that a baby could be so small and still such a feisty little fighter!

Mznaye
by French Quarter Queen on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:44 AM
No comments from me. I don't ask when you are due nor do I say "you are huge"
Khanfan
by Apple Dapple on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:49 AM

WOW! 5 times, that is so interesting! and I get the dog food part. I may have gone to the grocercy store and gotten a smaller bag. but that's me.

With my first two, I carried small. With my dd, I was asked if I was expecting twins. I was less than 15 weeks along. I dearly loved the old lady who asked me so my pain was short lived. I would not say "You are so big, EVER, unless it was invited. A mom at church is pregnant and she has told me she carried her first boy "big."

That goes along with the Q:when are you due? Answer: "I'm not pregnant"

tristansmom74
by Bronze sister on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:53 AM

People feel differently about baby weight comments.  So I wouldn't say anything.

i didn't care because I wasn't big.  I got up 150.. Starting at 130.  Went to a customers house a few days before I gave birth (early emerged my c-section). I called her to apologize for not getting back with and explained that I'd had my baby.  Her response... "I didn't know you were pregnant". For some reason that hurt my feelings.  Because I was almost 8 months pregnant and she couldn't tell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)