Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADD/ADHD, Autism, rising numbers all around, why?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 152 Total Views

Have there been many studies as to why so many children are diagnosed and treated for ADD/ADHD?

Do you think pediatricians and psychologists are quick to label and medicate chikdren these days?

I have a nephew diagnosed and on medication - which makes leaves him lathargic and with no appetite. From his parents description of his behavior without medicine he sounds to me like a normal teenager, defiant, a little hyper and daydreaming. I understand he does not concentrate as well therfore does more poorly in school without medication (I have heard college students take these medications for that reason alone these days) But couldnt that lack of focus be treated with study techniques etc rather than medication?

Just seems like everyones kid has add/adhd these days, when I was a kid boys were hyper, teenagers were defiant and lazy and not the most focused and that was normal.

I also wonder about the # of children with Austism, seems there has to be some concrete reasons why these past few generation have been so affected by these disorders.

What do you think? What do you know? Are your children affected?

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
dezandry
by Sister on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM
I think more is known about autism and it can be a number of factors as to why. I think it is genetic in nature.What is interesting to me about autism is that every child on the spectrum is so different.

My son is 7 and austistic but he also has Sensory processing disorder, some developmental and speech delays and ADHD. He is a sensory seeker but noises, crowds and many other situations can be over stimulating and send him in a meltdown. We do go to Disneyland and the movies but it is all centered around routine.

He is not and never has been on medication but has a behavioral therapist and is in an autism program at school where he has a speech and occupational therapy and adaptive PE.
As far as cause it could be a number of things for him. I had a really long and comicated labor and depression throughout my pregnancy and post partum. His dad may of had aspbergers but not diagnosed. Either way my son is a blessing and has made so much progress despite the many challenges. He has taught me patience, understanding and to enjoy the little things.
LadyAmaranth
by Hillarie on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I suspect it's during development, maybe it's food chemicals mom invests...I really don't know. I think some overdiagnose it but I think that might be cuz of desperate and pushy parents more than greedy doctor types. I also think sleep and anxiety issues might play a part.

I kinda don't care what causes it, just how to deal properly once a child is diagnosed. So families can function as a whole in a peaceful environment.

Yes, my oldest is on the spectrum as well as has adhd and mood and learning disorders. It's hell and speculation does little, imho, to do more than make parents fret or feel bad. I'm lucky my son is not as bad as could be but it's still hell.

Please don't feel I'm snapping at you or anyone cuz I'm not. It's the first time I've posted much about the subject.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Hi my son has moderate- severe autism,adhd & anxiety. Honestly I think autism was always there but kids were not being diagnosed. The spectrum umbrella is huge & these kids don't all have severe behavior. Some under the umbrella are geniuses but have quirks. Years back they would have been referred to as "nerdy". Then there's the kids that have a speech delay. They would have been classified as "a little slow ". Then there's the kids that are nonverbal & they would have been considered developmentally delayed. I really believe that alot of these kids were just not diagnosed. I look back to to my school days & I can think of alot of kids that were most likely on the spectrum but just never diagnosed. Just my opinion.
coolmommy2x
by Gold sister on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM
I think there are times it's diagnosed and it's not the case. That said, I don't think it's new, just more recognized. Like people died of cancer many years ago, they just didn't know it was cancer at that time. KWIM?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)