Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've a already called a professional

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 234 Total Views
It may take awhile to hear back from my son 's OT and google isn 't " understanding " my question.

SO....

I have a four yr old who has shown. a right hand dominance since he was able to grab toys.
Over the past several weeks, I've noticed that he now prefers to hold his utensil with his left hand.

The way he plays with Legos had switched ( holding the creating with his right and " building " with his left .

I do not care one way or the other , in fact, I'm left handed myself.

However a dominant hand has usually already been " chosen" by the child and they stick with it.

So, question is... How usual us it for a child to go from a dominant hand to ambidextrous this late in development? I know I didn't " pick " until second grade .... But I was ambidextrous all the way until then.

I've not heard not seen a child choose a dominant hand and THEN decide he wasn't sure .
And ideas or suggestions ?
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Hmmmm I'm not sure, sorry I can't be of much help.
Mznaye
by French Quarter Queen on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM
I'm not sure. Good luck
BL2010
by BL on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Hmm, not sure about that.

Mariagma3
by Maria - Midwest Lady on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I'm wondering WHY you care so much! Why not just let your child become his own person. Left or right-handed, be what it may. Are you afraid he may become stigmaitzed if he's a left handed person? (I'm a lefty as well.)

wenuck
by Wendy - Moonshine on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM
No clue! Sorry good luck =)
Momofmenagerie
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't care, I am highly curious as I tried to make clear in my OP. it is ODD to me that he picked a hand and 3 yrs later is rethinking that choice.

I've not heard if this before. I was asking to see if someone else has seen it.
He won 't be stigmatized from anyone no matter what. But can I not ask out of curiosity if anyone has seen this somewhere else.
I do not care, but I 'm curious. He be, do, choose to be whoever and however he wants. It is not a crime for me to ask if it's common and I just don 't know it . I was asking for information .

But thanks for your opinion and perhaps the misunderstanding between not giving a flip but having a piqued curiosity have been clarified .

Quoting Mariagma3:

I'm wondering WHY you care so much! Why not just let your child become his own person. Left or right-handed, be what it may. Are you afraid he may become stigmaitzed if he's a left handed person? (I'm a lefty as well.)

sometimesred
by Bump Queen! on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Not unusual at all.  But you do still need to have the pedi check him out and make sure there is nothing wrong with his right hand and arm that has led him to start using the left.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM
3 moms liked this

My son is a righty, but does many things as a lefty. He shoots a rifle left handed. He skateboarded as a lefty (yes, there is a difference, lol). He can do many things except write. And honestly, he doesn't write very well with his right either. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)