Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Tired of falling! Questions answered

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM
  • 26 Replies
  • 406 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I have a history of falling. Over the years, I have fallen and broken 9 bones. Last month, I started falling again. We have chairs lined up from my bed to the door which I can grab onto the frame and go into the bathroom. I fell toward the wall several times. Well, night before last, I fell toward my wheelchair and landed with my leg going down where the leg rest connects. That left a horrible bruise. Last night, I fell as I got up and landed with one lef landing on a plastic storage box that was open. HURT. That bruise is very hard and painful. 

I don't know why I have started falling so often. It is almost like I black up temporarily when I get up. I went to the dr, but we have no idea why this has started happening. I am tired of it and my leg really hurts from the last 2 nights. At least I did not break any bones. I have severe osteoporosis and break bones easily. Thankfully, the recent falls have been indoors instead of in the yard or on concrete. 

OK....frustration over for the moment.

Since some of your questions are asked more than once, I will answer here.

1. I just had a ton of tests run (9 tubes of blood).  

2. I am the person who just posted about Vitamin D deficiency

3. I am on 21 different medications...several are just as needed. The others are meds I have taken for years. 

4. I am 53. I have diabetic neuropathy, a couple of herniated discs, and there are times that my left leg just "goes out from under me."  Most of the weakness is left sided; however, the neurologist has warned me that  eventually both legs will do this. 

5. I have high blood pressure.

6. I have discussed this latest round of falls wth my primary physician. There are no new answers as to why this is happening. I almost feel like I briefly black out, but I think I am fully awake....don't know if this makes any sense.

7. Since I have rheumatoid arthritis, my joints are extremely stiff. I am MAKING myself stand in one spot before I try to walk.  IF I feel the least bit dizzy or have slept a little longer than normal, I call my son and he comes and lets me hold onto his arm until I feel really steady.

8.  My son is going to rearrange my room and I am going to start using a walker to get around the house and my wheelchair in public until this settles down,

9. Monday I am meeting with the clinical director for a clinical trial for a new drug for the treatment of systemic lupus. They have to do a TON of bloodwork to see if you qualify for the study. We will also review all of the other bloodwork that was just done. IF there is a reason that is in the bloodwork, we will find it. 

THANK YOU for your concern and advice. I appreciate it more than you know. 

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseWall
by RoseWall on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this
hugs.
Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:12 AM
2 moms liked this

have you connected your dr about all of these falls? I would say to talk to them have them run some simple blood work to see if maybe you are lacking of any vitamin.

Good Luck

wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs, sorry your in pain. Hopefully your doctor can figure it out.
flowrsgalore
by Silver sister on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry this is happening. That has to be scary. Don't give up trying to figure out why or how to prevent this from happening. Hugs momma.

BL2010
by Snookims on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Did the dr run any tests? How old are you? Are you eating properly? Do you have low blood pressure? Are you taking any meds?

Try getting up slowly, sit yourself up then wait a few seconds, then stand up, wait a few second, walk a step or two then stop for a few seconds, etc.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs!
Fayanne
by Fay on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

hugs!

I'd go back and insist on more testing... could be blood pressure related

Carmen66
by Hot Latina on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you get dizzy before your fall?
Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Your doctor needs to give you more concrete answers as to why this is happening. I would talk to the dr again, see what he suggests next. Good luck, please be careful.

DanaG70
by Rock Chalk on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)