Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

I find this to be preferential treatment

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM
  • 46 Replies
  • 649 Total Views
Ok do I hate whiners. I hate the cart to me attitude, because sometimes it hurts them more than it helps them. This dumb ass school I am trying to get my kid out of has a reward system. Of a student has perfect attendance and reads 30inutes every night they get a private party at school.

My kid can't read, he won't let me read to him for 10 minutes. Trying to get him to read os impossible. The most I get out of him is 5 minutes. I don't want my kid yo become his disability do to speak. But I got to thinking, there is no way my kid will ever get that special party. Neither will add, ADHD, or autistic kids. I find this as a form of discrimination for not being perfect.

I might just be thinking this way because I hate this school, but it's like rewarding normal and punishing the not so perfect. How do the kids that can't read because of a disability get rewarded? It's wrong but my theory is don't tell him this is happening he will neveriss what he doesn't know. Homeschooling looker and more appealing. The public school system here only wants perfect kids.
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maida265
by Spanking the Monkey on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Being the mom of 3 special needs kids I do understand...but why not request them to bend those rules. This is what I would do. I would speak to the teacher and explain that although he can't compete on their level that he should be given equal opportunity to participate in the class room. You can suggest that it would also help the other kids to be more sympathetic towards those who are different and show your son that despite his challenges he can be successful. So rather than him having to read 30 minutes...maybe he only has to read for 7 a night...to earn that party. This should be individualized anyway. I would also bring these little things up during his IEP's. Sometimes teachers just don't think outside the box. If you can always present a way to do something that is focused on your child's development and not on your emotions (because we are Mom's...so hear us roar) than they are usually more willing to bend. Good luck hon..he deserves that party too!!!

tristansmom74
by Bronze sister on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:07 AM

I think doing a private party is odd anyway.

when mine was in elementary the teacher had a plan.. The kids had reading charts and if you read so mant books you got to go see a movie with the teacher.  My son did not care.

maybe don't leave it up to the school.  You as a parent can make a reward system for him.  Like a pizza party for him to invite a couple school friends.

tossed
by Sister on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Both of my sons are adhd and actually earned the parties. It was a good incentive for them to do the reading. But, my sons enjoyed when I read to them because I did voices and made the reading come to life for them. With one, there was a certain character he liked, so I bought every book of that character. 

The parties at our school were noting more than a slice of pizza. My older son was actually disappointed in one of the parties. To win a ticket, they had to read all of the Bluebonnet Award book winners. We read every single award winner and it turned out that the party was just another pizza "party." When it came to AR points, my older who was ADHD and dyslexic actually had the second most points in his grade in the district out of 500 kids in his grade.

Mine could not get the exemptions from exams due to absences, but it was what it was. They are both asthmatic, so they got bronchitis several times a year. 

wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Hugs!
Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:06 AM

That is some BS! I'm sorry, you're right. Good luck to you! HUGS!

dana63
by Momma of 40ish on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I don't agree with the private party BUT I have a child with ADHD/ODD and my DD read and loves to read. The boy I babysit for is Autisic and he reads and also loves to read. I am not saying reading is for every child BUT we know its a part of every school system.

My one DD was required to read so many books because she is dyslexia and they did a party for the ones who read over 300 books at the end of the school year. I thought this was fair because the library was open during the summer at school and my DD went everyday to read or check out a book so she would get her 300 books by the end of the school year (they allowed the children to get that head start). This open a whole new world with her and helped her as well. My DD will be 26 soon and she still reads at least two books a day and never allowed anything to get in her way.

Reading in public (and even private) school is a requirement. I agree that changing your voice when you read OR even change up the story might get your child interested. What I did with my students was I used the title of a book and I made that book an adventure and my students help me get the three bears over the river and through the woods to find the gingerbread house so they could play in the clouds.

:)

wenuck
by Moonshine on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Hugs
Moms_Angels1960
by Husker Babe on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I am going to say you are really frustrated with this school I have read many things about it from you. I am going to suggest you go to board meetings and voice your concerns though it needs to start at the top or go to the superindent and voice from there.

ALolies
by Red Room Rebel on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure how I feel about the private party. But I agree with the others that reading is part of school. I am sorry your son does not care for it. It would be great if you could find a way to get him interested regardless of the parties. I understand the incentive on the teachers part, but some kids just can't conform. It really should be based on the individual child rather than a certain number of books. Have you asked the teacher why this is a one size fits all program?

AmaliaD
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Reading or being read to for 30 minutes and going to school IS something most IEP kids can do. How is it that your child doesn't "let" you read to him? How can you thunk about homeschooling when you can't get him to do work fir you?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)