Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

Nine-year-old kills shooting instructor with Uzi: What were her parents thinking?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 315 Total Views

How does a 9-year-old girl get on with life after shooting and killing someone?

How does she go back to a carefree existance playing jump rope and Barbie dolls with kids whose biggest concerns are spelling tests and the latest Disney movie?

To me, it's beyond belief that this child's parents took her to a firing range - Burgers and Bullets - to have a good time shooting an Uzi while vacationing in Arizona. Albeit that reports say her instructor, 39 year-old Charles Vacca, who died at the hospital, was not properly monitoring his pupil, and that it was legal for her to shoot at a place that specializes in automatic weapons.

You can see her "practice shot" in this video, taken by the parents. The video was turned over to authorities. Footage stops before the girl's second attempt to fire, when she lost control. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/27/officials-9-year-old-girl-accidentally-kills-gun-instructor-with-uzi/

When we took our kids to Arizona, we visited the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest. We also went to the Sonora Desert Museum, where they have terraced plant-life from the various eco-systems.

Nobody even asked to shoot a gun.

http://time.com/3183289/9-year-old-girl-accidently-shoots-kills-gun-range-instructor-uzi/

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MentorMom1
by Gold sister on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM

BUMP!

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM

In all fairness, she was with her parents. Accidents happen. Unfortunate, yes.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
There are some families who take their kids to shooting range and some families who dont mind kids being around people who drink. I think to each is own. This situation is Sad and I would not want my daughter shooting at a yound age but thats me cause I dont deal with guns I know nothing on them. Sad story
sahlady
by It's a jen.thing :) on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

there is a slight difference between a 9 yr old shooting an automatic gun... and a 9 yr old seeing mom and dad have a glass of wine with dinner.

Quoting wenuck: There are some families who take their kids to shooting range and some families who dont mind kids being around people who drink. I think to each is own. This situation is Sad and I would not want my daughter shooting at a yound age but thats me cause I dont deal with guns I know nothing on them. Sad story

maryjean427
by Sister on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I feel bad for the guy, but what was he thinking when he switched it to shoot numerous times? He didn't even say anything like, now it's gonna shoot alot at once, hold on tight to it. The poor little thing is traumatized for life.

wenuck
by Moonshine on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Agree Maria in all fairness.

Quoting Mariagma3:

In all fairness, she was with her parents. Accidents happen. Unfortunate, yes.

wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM
Wow that's crazy & sad for everyone involved.
hau_siyoka
by Doll Baby on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

What were the parents thinking? They weren't!

Delawhere
by Sister on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

That poor little girl will have to live with this for the rest of her life.  I'm ok with gun ownership (I personally do not own one) and I'm all for teaching young & old gun safety but I cannot wrap my head around an adult handing an automatic weapon to a young child for "fun".  I feel awful for everyone involved and think its terrible someone has lost their life but you have to be 16 to drive a car, 18 to join the military & 21 to have a drink.  But a 9 year old can handle an automatic weapon (with her parent's consent).  It's just crazy to me.....

ladyvamp5489
by Bronze sister on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Delawhere:

That poor little girl will have to live with this for the rest of her life.  I'm ok with gun ownership (I personally do not own one) and I'm all for teaching young & old gun safety but I cannot wrap my head around an adult handing an automatic weapon to a young child for "fun".  I feel awful for everyone involved and think its terrible someone has lost their life but you have to be 16 to drive a car, 18 to join the military & 21 to have a drink.  But a 9 year old can handle an automatic weapon (with her parent's consent).  It's just crazy to me.....

this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)