Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40ish and beyond... 40ish and beyond...

S/o of danas post about free meals at school...

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Ash
  • 24 Replies
  • 366 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I was just curious, how many of you qualify for your kids to get free/reduced meals at school? I've qualified the last 6 years. I only ask because sometimes I feel like I'm the only poor one, lol. But I saw on danas post that a few of you said you qualify. Sometimes I feel so bad and am embarrassed that we are low income, it makes me feel better about myself to know I'm not the only one.

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mznaye
by French Quarter Queen on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:48 PM
2 moms liked this
We received reduced lunch in school. Don't feel bad. Ian's breakfast, lunch and snack is included in his tuition

Quoting ashleighmama:

I was just curious, how many of you qualify for your kids to get free/reduced meals at school? I've qualified the last 6 years. I only ask because sometimes I feel like I'm the only poor one, lol. But I saw on danas post that a few of you said you qualify. Sometimes I feel so bad and am embarrassed that we are low income, it makes me feel better about myself to know I'm not the only one.

DanaG70
by Rock Chalk on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't, but I sure did when I was in high school when my dad just got out of the Air Force.

Nothing to be ashamed of, especially in this group. 

Mariagma3
by Wild Midwest Lady on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We didn't qualify when my boys were in school. But, growing up our family did qualify, and my Mom was too proud to take it. shrugging

wildchild.com
by Rapunzel on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM
5 moms liked this
I know what you mean Ash. We're low income too. It can feel embarrassing at times. I worked hard & went to night school for 3 yrs to get my associates for Medical Assistant. I had a great job that I loved. But when I found out my son had autism I felt he needed me more than we needed the income. Then I got divorced & we landed in housing. It's funny we're poor but I'm happier than I was when we had two incomes coming into the house. Also my son is thriving because I'm here for him ☺
wenuck
by Moonshine on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Nobody should feel embarrassed! I have been there done it.
BL2010
by Snookims on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Don't feel embarassed.

nussknacker
by Nutlady on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I may qualify this year, I have not yet checked out the paperwork. I need to do that. Last year I was JUST over the limit to qualify. I wouldnt feel bad because of the huge amount of taxes that I pay every year that go to the school . The taxes are included with my property taxes. Figure I am paying for it already.

oobee69
by New sister on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I qualify but my son doesn't get it because they serve peanut butter sandwiches in the cafeteria. My son's severely allergic an I wouldn't want to run the risk of cross contamination.
brooklynchic151
by Staten Island Psycho on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

you rock 

Quoting wildchild.com: I know what you mean Ash. We're low income too. It can feel embarrassing at times. I worked hard & went to night school for 3 yrs to get my associates for Medical Assistant. I had a great job that I loved. But when I found out my son had autism I felt he needed me more than we needed the income. Then I got divorced & we landed in housing. It's funny we're poor but I'm happier than I was when we had two incomes coming into the house. Also my son is thriving because I'm here for him ☺

ladyvamp5489
by Bronze sister on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids have qualified since they started school, my oldest just graduated and my youngest is in the 6th grade

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)